have you ever vastly improved in short time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Aug 17, 2009.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I would consider a gain of a perfect 5th in range in a month a miracle right up there with the immaculate conception.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    troll

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Oh, Fraserhutch, You're the GREATEST!!!!"

4. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    This year has been a whole giant growth spurt. I started the year playing a D above the staff and am Very close to the A above it. 3 more notes untill I can go to the triple C.... Also during the summer I began doing slurs religiously. Im talking slurs all over the register of the horn. Fast slow, normal. Then I began double tonguing. I was horrible at first, but by the start of band camp i was decent. Well now, double tonguing is like blinking, and triple tonguing is not as perfect but it is prety good. My senior year in high school so far has been a great leap for me. If you want to get really good at tonguing, look up carolina crown's double tonguing exersice on youtube. Do it everday, and dont take breaks. Also Call to the Post really helps to get the basic idea of playing something with heavy tonguing.

5. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    ca5tr0 - thanks for the tip on double tounging, I'll look it up.

It's great what you can come across on youtube: I vastly improved when I saw "zero pressure"

Before; the higher the note I wanted to play the more I squeezed my lips together and the more I pushed the trumpet against my lips. It worked up to a point but then I just couldn't get any higher, obviously.

The point I'm trying to make is we can spurt ahead when we learn or come across a different technique but polishing our perfomance takes years.

That's why I love the trumpet so much, there is always something new to master.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've vastly improved "amazingly" over the last 8 years (well I'm nearly 60 so 8 years is a short time - isn't it?) ;-)

(Just thought I'd get in before you Moderator blokes banned one of the posters and maybe closed the thread.)

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    the most drastic improvements I've ever had where after a lesson, or after a gig where I was playing next to a player who was MUCH better than me. I tend to learn more by observation.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Vast improvement doesn't take years of practice if you have bad habits.

I had a bad habit of not "filling up my lungs" during long passages without breaks.

Manny noticed it and told me about it. That one sentence made a gigantic improvement in my playing. So, if you want to get better fast, overcome bad habits by getting with a really good teacher.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Tell her to hire someone who can play the notes she's looking for. Also tell her that you don't want to damage your face attempting to give her one note...

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "If you have an audition with Arbans Carnival of Venice next month, but can't really double or triple tongue today, I would not wait for a miracle. That will not happen."...........................crap........rut roh:roll: