Have you ever...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, May 4, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Heard anyone play Bugler's Holiday as written?

Meaning, every time I have seen the music the 4th note (G) is tied over to the first sixteenth note (F) in the next measure.

Have you ever played it that way?

Does anyone?

-cw-

2. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

You mean slur the G over to the first F?? I have done it in practice, but we all agreed it was unnecessary and went on to tongue the whole thing.

Such an obscure thread, I love the internet!

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    (timidly raising hand).... we had a short band tonight...and only two trumpets (both 2nds) showed up. A whole mess of new music handed out so we took turns playing 1st. I slurred it and will do so next week when I'm back on 2nd (where I belong). I find it easier to slur into the 16th run by playing slurring that first 16th and then playing the 2nd one with "k".

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I've seen that and we deemed it unnecessary as well. Lazy trumpeters, we!

ML

5. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    I also think it is not needed. I like to slur every note in the ballerina's dance, too. That quick single-tonguing is completely optional.

:D

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I've not had a chance to "TRY" to play this piece but have heard it for sure.

I would be inclined to think that since most of this chart is very stacoto that slurring anthing would just be wrong.

But what do I know? :dontknow: