Havent played C in 3 weeks?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Manny,
    In a post (somewhere I cant find) you mentioned that you had not played C Trumpet in almost 3 weeks. I was under the impression that in the modern orchestra almost everything was transposed and played on "c". Am I wrong? Do most players use the pitch of horn indicated in the music?

Just Curious
    Josh

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, Josh, not exactly. The C trumpet has just evolved in this country as a horn of choice for convenience and the French influence during the first half of the last century. It's not about transposed parts.

It's a lighter sound than the Bb and blends differently than the Bb. Not better, just differently. I play the Bb every day and like to start with it. If I'm on vacation, I hardly touch the C until it gets close to orchestra rehearsals.

Today's symphonic trumpeter needs to be expert at transposition in order to make the music easier on whatever instrument he chooses... D, C, Bb, Eb, F... whatever.

ML

3. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Now that my eyes are opened a little more, how do you decide what horn to play your audition on?

4. stephenwright

stephenwright New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    England, UK
    I think Manny mentioned somewhere else (or I picked it up from somewhere else) that it's generally preferable to play on the biggest horn you can safely play all the notes on. This gives you the maximum security of the notes and the biggest, roundest available tone.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Stephen

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I play Bb every day too. I find I am a happier trumpet/cornet player when I warm up on it.