Haven't Played In Years...Where To Start?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KBoy420, Jun 4, 2012.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    You can develope your chops playing melodies like Ivan suggested but slur them in one continuous breath. That will help develop your breath control while strengthening your chops. Take some moderate breaks and come back to it. Give yourself sometime and listen to some recording of your favorite players. Try to mimic their sound when you practice. That will also help train your ear to the sound you wish to accomplish. Good luck and welcome back.

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    If it starts to hurt, back off and rest a little.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Welcome aboard! Keep it up!

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Welcome back! I know they are boring, but long tones are soooo good for you. Kinda like watching paint dry or grass grow but the benefits are awesome! P.S. I DID NOT READ ANY OF THE POSTS BEFORE POSTING. Conclusion, do the long tones from low F#up to high C. It's only 31 little notes! ROFLROFLROFL

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Remember in marching band.., having the songs memorized??? (It's easy, because there are only three valves!!) To increase duration.., I memorized, five or six favorite songs.., and play them over., and over.., and over, and PLAYING LONG TONES IN_BETWEEN.., to relax the lips, when they get tired, well., then you rest. Never feel like you are having to force notes. Play every day.., and try to play longer every day, and as far as range.., that will come with time, just try to get a little higher every day.., and then when you get that note.., STOP trying, as you should never try to force too hard.
    Welcome back!!! Make some recordings, as this is a good way to gauge your progress. When you fell like you have plateaued, then play back some of your recordings, and you will feel better..., and regain your confidence.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    biggest pitfalls I found were
    -Breathing ... it use to be very natural so I never thought much about it when I was younger ... had to consciously make sure I was supporting the notes.
    -Things that I use to do didn't quite have the same benefit ... I had played the Clarkes so much they were virtually memorised ... I picked up the Vizzutti Book one and while his technical studies are similar they are just different enough to make me focus ... I found my dexterity improved at a faster rate changing it up. I am pretty sure if I had learned the Vizzutti's when I was younger then I would have the same result if I switched to the Clarkes
    - warm-ups ... use to take 10 minutes now I spend 40 minutes ... somewhere in there it probably isn't an actual warm-up but playing more warm up exercises lie Long Tones and slow arpeggios. I really like the Vizzutti series.
    -play along cds ... I find them fun and it motivates me because I hate sucking on the trumpet
    welcome

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I'll concur with long tones, but also recommend lip slurs (Arbans). Nothing high, nothing fast, nothing loud - just focus on a slow tempo, clean slurs, good tone and center on each note. You will certainly feel your chops getting the workout and please remember to rest in between all your exercises.

9. epevets

epevets New Friend

May 13, 2012
    Once you get to a point whee you feel mildly comfortable reading and playing tunes, try to find a local community band to join. that's what i did. the help and support from the old guys around me was invaluable. it's been 12 years now (after a 30-year break), and i'm still going strong. will never quit again

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I agree with everything said so far. Scales, arpeggios, bugle calls, lip slurs, all are good. Try to find people to play with who are better than you. And if you play with acoustic guitars, you'll have to get used to playing in F# and B scales. Playing a little every day is better than playing a lot one day a week. After warming up, playing along with the radio (or last.fm) can be a lot of fun and before you know it you'll be playing by ear. That opens up a whole new world of music, since there are a lot of bands out there that don't even know how to read music. And have fun, above all.