Haven't practiced in 4 days

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I was really sick for the last 4 days and I'm finally in a condition to practice. So, I started practicing, and my playing is so horrible! My mouthpiece feels really small, I can't play high at all, I can't maintain a pitch, and really, really sharp. I had to pull out twice as much as usual. Is this normal if I didn't practice for a long period of time? Never has been this bad.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    yep. in my experience it is totally normal. i play both trumpet and guitar and if i don't practice daily, i get ruaty. sometimes your body needs healing and restoration from an illness. everything will be ok in a few days of regular practice. best regardss

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    This is common for some, uncommon for others.
    Common for me.

Take time to recenter/refocus everything, instead of trying to just plow through things and hope that they'll fix themselves (not that you're necessarily doing this). You want to help your lips find their efficiency again, and then real progress can be made again.

4. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    herseth: 'after one day off, i can tell. after two days off, everyone in the orchestra can tell. after three days, everyone can tell.'

just play long, low tones. one big breath, start soft, play to a controlled loud and then back down. stop, relax, buzz your lips to get blood back in them. repeat until you feel them tingling. take a break and then do some more...

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You might still be affected by your illness. Playing is often a barometer of our overall well-being. Play some long tones, Clarke studies and basics, and keep at it without fighting yourself and the horn, it will come back. Your chops are still there, just not at their best.

6. Cumbia-salsa-merengue

Cumbia-salsa-merengue New Friend

Feb 4, 2012
    Canada Kitchener
    Long tones work for me when I haven't played for a while.:-)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just play softly for a week or so. Play more easy tunes (like out of a hymnbook) than chop builders. We all have been there. Force is a big enemy.

8. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Just realized that I have band class when I go back to school tomorrow, which pretty much means I'll be forced to play a G (the one just above the staff) for the 1.5 hours... :-(

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ask the teacher if you can take it easy or go to study hall ...
    You may be dehydrated, weak, and not to mention a little out of shape.

10. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    First, I'm likely in the minority, but here is my experience: when I was (much) younger (57 now), I thought that missing four days would put me back at a Jr. High School level. For me (FOR ME), this was more psychological than physical. I THOUGHT missing practice would hurt, so it did; the power of the mind, perhaps. Today, I play weekend gigs, and maintain a weekday practice schedule of usually three days on, two off. It works for me. No, I'm not making huge strides forward, but this keeps me "level", it's maintenance. I don't recommend this for my students, but as an old guy who does weekend gigs, (generally four hour, funk / pop / rock) it works for me.

Brad361