Haven't practiced in 4 days

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Just take it down an octave an pretend you aren't. No one will be the wiser. Or pretend to blow, but don't. Don't push it or it will take even longer to get back to where you were.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Listen to rowuk. Don't over due it. Here, below is a doctor's excuse: Print it out, tear at the dotted line and take this into your band instructor. Note I also included my "chicken scratch official doctor's signature".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Band Director,

hhs Trumpet is recovering from a subacute illness that I cannot detail as this information is HIPAA protected, and while I could tell you, I would then have to shoot you. Just take my word for it that it was such a bad condition, you really do not want this person in your performance hall at this time. So on the advice of his medical advisor (me) Mr. Trumpet will not be able to perform in public until after next week. Please give him an excused absence throughout the course of this and the following week.

Sincerely,

\/><\/..\|\|\||\\\,.<>\\\

Gary M. Onady MD, PhD

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Pay attention to the good advice about taking it easy. Rest before you feel tired. Being very ill is not the same as just missing 4 days of practice. You're whole body is still very weak. I'm sure if your band director has any brains he'll let you take it easy. They did without you for 4 days. The last thing you need to do is beat your lips to death.

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Played everything and octave down today in band class and did short practices with easy tunes and long tones. I'm still having trouble even holding a tuning C. Hopefully things will gradually get better.