Having a blood test on Monday, any effect on playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Feb 18, 2012.

1. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    So I'll be having a blood test on Monday morning, but I have a band audition the very next day towards the afternoon and I'm getting super paranoid that the blood test will have an effect on my playing. I plan on making first chair Wind Ensemble, and that's probably why I'm so paranoid about it, but is it really anything I should be worried about in that case? It's probably a really stupid thing to ask, but I'm really stressing about it. :/

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Nah. It will have no effect whatsoever! It is usually one pinprick and its over after they take a few vials of blood. Less than 50cc total. Microscopic amount.
    Phlebotomy techs are usually very experienced. They usually hold pressure on the stick site to prevent bruising, or they instruct you to. The bleeding stops rather quickly.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I recently had blood drawn, and while I hate needles and so my brain was in chaos for a bit after, my arm was fine within a couple hours. I didn't even think about it the next day. They just told me to make sure I eat, and eat I did! No worries, in my opinion. Good luck!

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    At my advanced age and debilitated physical condition I am required to have blood drawn every Friday to keep track of the creatnin,( KIDNEY SECRETION ), count in my blood. I have had no problems with my playing after three months of this regimen.

OLDLOU>>

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good advice given.

Typical screening blood work usually requires 2 or 3 tubes (a lavender tube for blood counts, a red or yellow tube for chemistries, and possibly a blue tube for coagulation factors). Each tube holds about 5cc of blood. This is a very small amount, and will have no effect on your playing (or anything else you do).

Mike

6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Don't let your mind make things worse! Stressing / paranoia will only hurt your playing. A good night's sleep and a good breakfast is probably a good idea too!

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Except NO breakfast before the blood test.

Anyways, I can concur with the others. It's NO biggie at all. It's not at all like when you donate blood, and have to eat afterwards, or anything like that...though, you'll probably be hungry by then.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    i have played gigs a couple of hours after donating blood. i had a solo concert the day after giving stem cells.

If you don't need an excuse,you will be fine.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Diabetics sometimes have a tough time on the fasting prior to a blood test. A few times I've been wobbly upon arrival at the Doc's office. Now carry quick glucose boosters with me to appt. Too, now the tech draws my blood quickly and sends me back to waiting room to see the Doc. First stop after exam by Doc is a meal.

10. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks tons! I just got back from the clinic and there's only a small ache that's gotten already better! Thanks again for the advice, stressing really only makes it worse for myself! I appreciate it, thanks again!