Having a hard time figuring it out...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I have been really wanting to figure this solo out. I can't seem to find out the notes. Any tips? (The key anything)

El Trompetista - YouTube

I could only find it in spanish! Doesn't matter I guess. The part i'm talking about starts at 1:00. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Also, its from a young man with a horn. A great movie to see!

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    FIRST .... disregard what Kirk Douglas is doing because he is not playing the horn. You will need to approach this at a slower pace, figure out the notes, practice and then play along to "Come on, Get Happy" which here is done in Dixieland style. If I gave you a shortcut, it will not let you learn from the process. The easiest way to get you started is to go with the notes in the hook (which comes after the opening statement), which are Eb Ab C Eb Eb Eb Dd C Eb Eb (You can play the first four all 2-3 to simplify). I am not going to take the time to give you any more, take it from there. No need to rush, the song isn't going anywhere. Every "lick" you figure out then becomes yours. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

3. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I got that part already. The hard parts are the slides (glissandos), knowing where to start and stop. I susspected that I would probably get the "just sit down and figure it out aproach. Should I write down as I work it out or just remember it?

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Whatever works for you. Hey, if it was easy....

Some people write notation. others just alphabet. Like i say, what works for you