Having an Issue right now...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jan 4, 2010.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Recently, for some reason, whenever I play the flesh behind my outer lips block the airway and block the air from the mouthpiece, creating a really bad sound. Sometimes this renders me unable to play or practice anything for even a few minutes before it starts happening again. Does anyone know about this phenomenon?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sometimes I get very frustrated here. There are tons of posts on daily routine, warm up, and all sorts of other stuff. Obviously even simple stuff is not getting payed attention to!

If your lips are "blocking" any airway, then you are doing something differently than before you had this problem. If YOU don't know what that is, how can some internet acquaintance figure it out without looking at you.

The only way that an airway can get blocked is if your lips fall into the mouthpiece cup and that means either a too shallow cup, or too weak chops or both. Both of those things don't take much to figure out.

Most all of your posts are about embouchure (I just checked). If you are even trying some of the stuff that you post or get answered out, you have your recipe for the current desaster. My advice is to get a teacher to point you in ONE direction and stop looking for alternatives until you have that mess straightened out. We are creatures of habit. Habits are built with THOUSANDS of repetitions over months. That is the work that you have ahead of you!

You should have enough proof by now that the internet does not work.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If YOU don't know what that is, how can some internet acquaintance figure it out without looking at you.
    -------------------------
    Quit messing around and get a teacher that knows what they are doing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    To me there is nothing wrong about stating a question like "Does anyone know about this phenomenon?".
    The user didn't ask for instant healing but for whether somebody knows the phenomenon.
    He was asking for ideas about what might be happening.
    A platform like this is for sharing ideas, too, I think.

If HE knew what it is, there would be no problem.

So don't worry, trmpt_plyr.

In what sense do your lips "block the airway"?
    Do they just not open up - maybe due to lack of a sufficiant air flow?
    Does opening the jaw wider make a change?

Or do your chops really "fall into" the mouthpeace ("bottom out")?
    Which would not really block the airway by the way.

Did you make changes to your hardware recently?

Watch yourself and try to describe as good as possible!

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    To me there is nothing wrong about stating a question like "Does anyone know about this phenomenon?".
    The user didn't ask for instant healing but for whether somebody knows the phenomenon.
    He was asking for ideas about what might be happening.
    A platform like this is for sharing ideas, too, I think.

If HE knew what it is, there would be no problem.
    -----------------
    If you read trmpt plyr's past posts, you will read that embrochure and mouthpiece questions are the major issue. They need to quit goofing off and find a teacher before they develop some serious bad habits.

6. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    It feels like the flesh on the inside of my lip is coming out, blocking the airway and making an ugly vibration.

7. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Reads like you roll your lips rather out instead of rolling them slightly(!) in.

Remember: this is not a diagnosis - it's just an idea!
    There can be no diagnosis from the distance.

:dontknow: