Having braces for 4 years and finally getting them off.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Practice, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    I've been having braces after the first year I've started playing trumpet, which was the 6th grade. Now I'm a sophomore in high school, 1st part in all my music. Been able to hit a solid high C and higher. But now since I've gotten my braces off it feels weird. It's like I'm back to being a 6th grader again but a little better D:
    I'm glad that its in the Thanksgiving holiday and i have time to practice, but I'm afraid that i won't be able to do well for my region music which is in 2 weeks. It's frustrating! :x

Anybody got anything that will help?

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Having been there, done that:

You must be so very very patient with range after the braces come off. Focus on regaining a beautiful tone first, especially now that your lips are not as stretched. It will come back, and it won't take forever. Now is a good time to learn breath support as well. But TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE is your focus now that you don't have metal on BOTH sides of the lips. I'd say you can't expect to be as good as I know you want to be for that audition. But if you ARE patient, you will make gains far beyond any others.

On that note :D :
    Long tones, resting in between for as long as you played the tone. Begin the Clarke studies and Cichowicz (spelling?) flow studies is my suggestion. And now is the point where a private lessons teacher would help you make huge gains.

3. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    I have a private lesson teacher but her lessons are after school so i have to wait till next week :/
    I ca do long tones :D but i don't have a Clarke book. But i do have an Arban book

4. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Hm. I suggest you get one, good stuff. Let me think about the Arban though (not with me a.t.m.)

I think that you should try to do some of the interval work near the beginning, slurred. I'd highly advise staying between low and third space C (no matter how your range is right now) for the first week of doing them, and then expand as time goes on after you're sure to relax the lip, but maintain corner support, and use AIR. After that, work on it, tonguing.

5. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    Ok thanks I'm working on it now.

6. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Best of luck!

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Play low, and gradually build back up. Practice carefully and ease back into playing. You're basically re-learning how to play the trumpet (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!)
    Lots of long tones :D

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    As a comeback player myself I can't tell you what to do with too much authority but I'd suggest a good boring dose of lip slurs...Boring low, mid, low mid high slurs...You'll get to gain that sweet spot back. Of course don't forget to play some blatty/growling nawlins style blues. It's good for the spirit. Get a clean toilet plunger :)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The geometry of the face changes when we remove the braces. It just takes a little while for the faces fine motor activity to readjust. I simply recommend lots of stuff in the staff. I would give one of my students a church Hymnal and say play 100 tunes softly every day in addition to the standard daily routine.

You do not need any special books to get back into things, just lots of low impact playing and focussing on getting a BIG breath.

Loud and range exercizes are POISON until your face is back into the swing of things. If you were practicing diligently WITH the braces, you will be fine after a short while.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    <gasp!!>