Having braces for 4 years and finally getting them off.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Practice, Nov 21, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    The best thing to so is to play the same. Do not change the mouthpiece position or anything else. Then again if you want to lower your mouthpiece then this would be the perfect time. You will be fine and in a year you will ask why did you get braces. I wish I had the gap between my front teeth for a better air flow.

2. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    I'm making some progress. Just yesterday i couldn't even get out a low C and now i my tone back a little and can now play up to in the staff G good.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, as long as you take your time you should play better than ever. Make sure to round out those notes as much as you can

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Braces, crowns and partial dentures and just this past year a full upper denture, plus other stuff, and I've been through all the trials of tribulations and still enjoy playing. Stay at it, and all will be behind you also.

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I went thru the same thing with braces. I went bach to a Bach 7c from a 3c for a while and just practiced scales from Arban's. It took 3 months to get it back but I became a better player after my teeth were straightened. Also my range got higher. Don't worry, it creates a tendency to overblow or press your mouthpiece too tight to your lips. It is a good and valid question. "KEEP ON TRUMPETING"

6. joshlalonde

joshlalonde New Friend

Nov 8, 2011
    My friend got braces just before a chair audition! How are the braces feeling now? I thought this might be encouragement to him :)

7. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    I got half of my range back and my sound got much fuller. My region auditions was just yesterday and the results weren't very good ahaha. Got 70th out of 81 participants. After i got my braces off i had found that my lip like shakes at certain notes like an unintentional vibrato. Back when i had braces i had the same problem and quickly got rid of it. Right now i got rid of the unintentional vibrato but at times it comes back and i have to blow more air to get rid of it.
    At auditions i wasn't nervous until they called my letter to sit in the chair in front of everybody. The first etude, after about 5 measures i wasn't shaking uncontrollably.
    But after the first etude i was fine afterwards and stopped shaking. I could go on much more about my first time experience the pressure of region but I'm sure y'all are getting tired of reading.