Having issues with airy sound and not enough consistent sound.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CompleteRookie, Jan 14, 2016.

1. CompleteRookie

CompleteRookie Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    I know this question may spur tons of claims about me not maturing my embouchure or blowing completely wrong. I have been trying to play my Conn Director that I bought off eBay for 2 weeks now. I've noticed that every time I buzzed into the 7C mouthpiece the tone that comes out of my horn is unclear and hard to play a normal note. I'm just starting out learning to play the trumpet, I haven't even taken any classes in the past or had any lessons, but I'm gonna give myself a wild guess that the unnatural sound coming out of my trumpet is due to the fact that my water keys/corks/other parts are missing? Also my tuning slide is a bit hard to pull out even after I have put a lot of valve oil on there, but I don't think it makes much of an impact on the tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Check for leaks, start with water key pads and springs. Then check lead pipe, pull off tune slide and plug end and blow .

3. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    How should I check? Do I use water? Sorry, I have no experience with this.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Pull off the tune slide, put finger one one end and blow or suck on other, you should hear no air leaking. If you have water key pads, and it leaks air you need new springs. Same goes with the 3rd slide.

5. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    OK thanks, I'll definitely try that when I have time but the lack of corks and water keys has nothing to do with the main issue right?

6. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If you have bad, or no pads on water keys horn will no play correctly. Same with weak springs, air leaking = bad sound.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are missing corks and water keys, that IS the issue. The same goes if the valve corks/felts are not in reasonable shape. The valves could also simply not be inserted correctly. There is a key to align them, and generally the valves are numbered to match their casing.

Maybe you should find a friend that knows a bit more about the trumpet to visually inspect the horn.....

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    What a nice, simple, and concise answer! Thank you for making everyone's day a little brighter

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If you are trying to go about this completely on your own, and only asking on a forum like this, you are in a sense tying one hand behind your back.....
    Do give yourself every possible advantage by finding a good brass repair tech, or at least an experienced trumpet player who can save you going through unnecessary trial and error by taking a look at the horn for you. Then he might end up telling you it might just take a while to develop your embouchure properly, in more than two weeks.

10. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Well getting help here is good enough, I'll try to find an instructor here in NY. Although the best way for me is learning myself and mastering playing through my experiences. I wonder which cork and waterkey is compatible with my horn, if someone who has an expert eye please tell me which water keys and corks are compatible with my 1980s Conn Director 18B from the photos above? The valves are numbered and put it correctly already, they lock in place.