Having issues with airy sound and not enough consistent sound.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CompleteRookie, Jan 14, 2016.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The water keys in your photo have no pads. If they are fully closed they are not likely leaking. But check them as suggested anyway. The tone you are describing may be the result of trying to buzz the mouthpiece as opposed to letting the air produce the buzz. Get a copy of Mystery to Mastery: Yamaha trumpet artist Greg Spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons how to play the trumpet demonstrations articles the world's first trumpet eBook for beginner trumpet players who are learning how to play the trumpet this online tr or get some lessons. You don't need to buzz your lips, they will produce a buzz if you set your chops right and blow into the horn.

2. CompleteRookie

CompleteRookie Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Amazing, thanks. I have been using air anyway I can, I put my lips together and made a small hold in the middle, didn't put too much pressure and tried to blow, inconsistent notes and I can't get into the high register when I tried making the hole smaller and pushing more air. This could already indicate a leakage of air from the padless water keys.

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    The picture shows amado waterkeys.

Your waterkeys don't have corks. If your valves are in backwards or are completely dry, they can leak.

Also, having used your approach of self teaching, I can tell you it is patently WRONG.
    R-O-N-G, wrong.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well! I don't know of any brass instrument that would begin to play well without pads in the water keys unless they are of the two types of water release mechanisms I know that do not require them. Replacing a water key pad is simple, but it can be frustrating if the spring leaps away. If you don't want to order pads and DIY which I do not recommend, you've no excuse not to have a tech do it. NYC and nearby has many techs that can and will. The cost is not prohibitive.

Update, I look back to the pix and now see that the water keys are the Amado type, one of the two types I mention as do not need pads, but may become stuck in an open position that you should be able to feel with just a blow through your trumpet. Limited to what I see, your trumpet seems new or near so, but saying you're a "complete rookie" and stating "upper register" seeking are not compatible. The upper register only becomes attainable after extended practice and then personally I find little need of it, and when I do, I prefer to use a piccolo trumpet. The upper register with a normal Bb trumpet IMO is only for ostentatious jazz improvisations IMO.

5. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Wait so, which parts am I missing from my Amado water keys? The corks are missing right? How about the spring? Clips? I dunno much about those spit valves but I can push through the buttons and it exposes a tight hole.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Amatos don't have corks. They are more of a valve with a spring mechanism. The way it works is a pin is pushed and this exposes a hole, which allows the water to be released, the. Springs back to a solid spot, creating the tight fit needed.

7. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Alright so based on the photo I showed, I'm not missing any parts?

8. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    From the update you just posted, I see what you mean. I can't seem to make the buzzing noise when I blow without the mouth piece, for upper register I have seen people on YouTube put their upper lip slighlty on top of their bottom lip and blow really hard for that squeak without the mouthpiece or horn but I think there are various methods for doing that.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Not seeing any photo here.....where could I find it?

10. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    First page and thanks.