Having issues with airy sound and not enough consistent sound.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CompleteRookie, Jan 14, 2016.

1. CompleteRookie

CompleteRookie Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Well, the problem hasn't been solved yet. Luckily on my birthday I gave my friend the Conn Director so he can fix it up ( he said there are maybe leaks ) and he gave me a Holton 48 as a gift. I played it and the sound came out immediately. I guess it really was the hardware's fault that time.

2. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    I'll post some pics of it later, He tells me he doesn't know the exact date of it. I wonder if anyone here knows.

3. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click to enlarge.

Here are the photos, the engraving looks strange to me, the other Holton 48s on the Hilton loyalist site have different kind of engraving designs like flowers. The serial is " 161562 ". 2 Valve bottom caps refuse to come out only 1 did. The valves are more stiffer than my Director but they work just fine when I played it.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Nice 48! About a 1946 model off the top of my head, great horn! What a nice gift! Put some $$ into that Holton and you'll have a great horn. The director is a student model and the 48 is a pro model. Take it to a shop and have it cleaned and serviced and you'll be very happy I'm sure. The valves should be ultra fast and smooth

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Drop into the Holton club here and check out some tasty Holton pics

6. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Yeah, so far I really like it. It looks like the leadpipe has been fixed recently becuase of that extra brass colored patch up piece. The valves are good but they each make a different spring clicking sound when I press on them. It seems the valves might be a bit too aged. The valves also dont push down as fast as my Director did. I already regreased everything and oiled the slides.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Glad to see you are making progress towards solution... :-)

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    If they are badly worn it is a costly repair concerning the valves! Mine needs a valve job but..... but Hetmans 3 valve oil will help tremendously! Although only a band aid, I can blow it off my valve over the course of a couple songs

9. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Well it seems there was a small hole somewhere, solution would be my friend ( whos not much of a servicing professional ) bring it to his local horn shop so they can patch any holes up, i think the hole(s) was at the valve casing part. But thanks for all the advice everyone.

10. CompleteRookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Brooklyn,NY
    Not too worn but I read somewhere that the valves age horribly on Holton revelation models and is common for them to be slower than factory condition. (especially since its more than 50 years old) I'll see if I can get a valve job. The horn has some scratches and very small dings on the long tube. Here in NY there are horn shops that can give me a discount for all in one servicing bundle.

Quick question, would a satin finish change the tone of the horn?