Having problems playing above the D in the staff.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobratank, Dec 31, 2015.

1. cobratank

cobratank New Friend

Dec 4, 2015
    I am 16 and I am trying to play in the upper part of the visible scale and a little above. I can play the second to last line D about 75% of the time, but going higher than that is really hard. I have been doing intense practice for 1.5 weeks and it is still very difficult. The second to last note in the staff (E) is my current goal.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, welcome to TM. And isolating your final comment, the answer is plainly clear... the problem is, you are suffering from a staff infection! Sometimes just standing outside in that cold New Years eve air will put a phrygian mode on the lips and cure that problem. So have a Happy New Year and be healed. Now aren't you glad you came here to TM to get serious answers from serious professionals? Before you answer that one, give me some time to look around for one and I will let you know you are here.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    As silly as this will sound, you already have the E above that D... every time you get that D, just let the valve up and you have the E. Adding valves just pulls the note down from the partial above it.

Maybe try some bugle tunes to free up your mind - just play open notes for a little while.
    Taps
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI

Colours
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSEVv9JfXaw

Reveille
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2WqkvIhXY

Practice these 3, and leave the valves out for a few days, and your Chops will be playing the G on top of the Stave.

4. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW - your first post, so Welcome to TM.

I take it you are new to the trumpet. Maybe go to introductions, and tell us more about yourself, how long you have been playing, are you playing at school or just at home by yourself, what model horn are you playing, your goals etc...

1.5 weeks is not long. Intensive practice means different things to different people. To me, that's 2 hours of practice and 2 to 3 hours playing - so 4 to 5 hours a day.
    Improvements on trumpet are measured in months and years, not a couple of weeks.
    Cheers

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    On any instrument. But cobratank, the trumpet is one of the most physically demanding wind instrument so the improvement Peter is referring to is usually slow and gradual. (It doesn't have to be, but usually is.) Some other instruments are relatively easy to get started on and maybe even move up to intermediate level quickly. But hard or easy in the beginning, they all catch up with you at some point and then they're all hard.

Trumpet is one of those that has certain challenges very early on and one of those is range. With a crappy sound, a flautist or saxophonist can almost immediately play the full normal range of their instruments. Not so with the trumpet. In these other winds, either the wind itself, or reeds give the basic vibrations you need for range. On trumpet, its the lips. Why am I writing all of this? Just to let you know that you are doing fine, that it's normal, but also that you are in for a long and gradual journey and keep patient.

6. cobratank

cobratank New Friend

Dec 4, 2015
    I have been playing for 4+ years, but didn't practice much outside of school. I have a getzen 390 I think. I practice about 1.5 hours to 2 hours a day now at home.My goal is to extend my range.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For now lay aside your quest for range and master all the tones of notes you are comfortable with. A good progressive program of long tones, slurs, lipping etc. will ease the way to range increases. Simplest put, you can't reach the roof without a ladder.

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If you have been playing for 4 years, then it must be the D above the High C that we are talking about. I thought you were saying the D above middle C in the Stave. If it is in the Stave, then dedicate the first 10 minutes of your warm up to open note slurs, and some Bugle calls. That will quickly increase you open partials. Also you need a teacher - that E inside the stave is the 4th open Partial - the Harmonic Series- (C - G - C- E - G). You should have all those 5 open notes within 6 months of playing/starting on the horn.

If we are talking about the notes above the High C, then Those Notes have to be earned by regular, sensible practice. Each note above the High C is a step you need to get under your belt.

I suggest looking at Greg Spence's Videos - Mystery to Mastery. They will help you to get your mind around what you are doing. Just Google it on Youtube, and you will find his free lessons.

Cheers - and keep us posted

9. cobratank

cobratank New Friend

Dec 4, 2015
    Thanks, both my middle and my high school teacher had never really enforced those E and G partials. Thank you for the advice. I have been doing something similar to a bugle call. I have been playing the partial C, then G, then C, then about 50% of the time a E squeaks out and the G is starting to appear.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Except that he wrote D "in" the staff. There's only one. All others are outside of the staff, (either below or above). So OP, which is it, the one on the staff's 4th line or the one above, not in, the staff?