Having problems playing above the D in the staff.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobratank, Dec 31, 2015.

1. cobratank

cobratank New Friend

Dec 4, 2015
    I will say the lip slurs are helping a ton!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For beginners, just as I would for re-beginners, I allow "lip time" for no more that 20 minutes as would follow with not less than 20 minutes rest. During rest times we discuss or I demonstrate. IMO the bad part about a beginner practicing with a mute is that they then can't identify the pure tone. At this time, by your statement, I surmise you still haven't developed your aperture and secured tight corners of your embouchure and are attempting to blow too hard causing a "blow out". Diversion to a TV, or anything else is NOT permitted in what I put forth as a Practice regimen. For a student to answer a phone would end a lesson with me, and I consider the same with a students own practice session.

3. cobratank

cobratank New Friend

Dec 4, 2015
    After trying out the "Traps" call after doing lip slurs, I was able to hit the G above the staff. That simple addition in practice really made things a lot better.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Success is built in months and years, not days. Stop trying to hit notes for the next couple of weeks. Build a foundation and don't screw it up before it is ready.

5. cobratank

cobratank New Friend

Dec 4, 2015
    Here is an update on what is going on.

A couple of weeks ago I started private lessons, and worked on certain exercises etc.

I have been doing what you guys said as well. My main range notes' tone has improved significantly, and just a couple of days agowe I am able to play to the F on the top line of the staff.

Thanks for your help.