Having trouble healing. Tips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rainiac, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    I'm not sure how I did it, probably over-blowing and definitely over-playing, but my lips have become weak. My range has diminished brutally and it hurts to do exercises like long-tones and slurs. Not a burning, like when the muscles are working hard, but actual pain.

I took a couple of days off, which normally does the trick, but there is no improvement so far.

How can I heal my lips? My frustration grows everyday.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I have some excerpts from "Broken Embouchures" by Lucida Lewis I could email you. Her actual book can be ordered online PM me your address and I'll send info.

Sounds like you may have done some damage beyond just bruising. Here are some exercises and stretches one of my teachers gave me and I quote.

[​IMG]

translation:
    [​IMG]

Translation:

Above information was a product of
    http://www.institutart.com/index.php/ca/

Broken embouchures can be ordered at
    http://www.embouchures.com

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    added the second page translation

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When you tear muscle, which is what you describe, you have a sprian. Not a good thing to have when it is on the lip. In medicine we recommend RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Can't get much more of an elevation than the head, so forget the E. Compression... would not recommend an ACE wrap around the mouth (unless of course you are Kingtrumpet in which case ACE away-ACE). So for rest of us, that leaves R and I.

Rest... Definately. The bands of muscle need to heal. They will be open to more damage with continued playing at this time if you have an extensive rupture.
    Ice... Ice is good. I recommend using it with a massage technique. I would ICE it down before AND after the excercise recommended by Sounds7.

Use the excercises with caution and only to the point where you do not feel pain. If you feel pain, backdown, and if you still feel pain... STOP. ICE down again after these excercises. Massage in the ICE until the pain goes away or until 5 minutes transpire, which ever comes first.

Now finelly, rube vitamin E oil into the area to maximize an anti-oxident effect such that free radicals do not mount an immune response the will leave scar tissue. Scar tissue will disrupt the natural layering of muscle fiber which may be a problem if it heal this way.

Also be carefull of medical advice from Vulgano Brother... he is a free radical, and sometimes he will charge you. Don't buy it.

5. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Thank you both very much, this has been very helpful!

6. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Too funny

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    That ACE wrap around the mouth thing sounds almost like that classic advice for a strongly bleeding head wound: Apply a tight tourniquet round the artery...

(...and THINK about it...) ;)))

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe it is "Apply a tight tourniquet round the neck... That works very well.

[Disclaimer: Of course everybody here on TM... This is yet one of those tasteless doctor jokes that we spew out as we wait for our next case. The nights do become long you know. You NEVER want to put a tourniquet around the neck... unless the patient is KT which in that case... this procedure IS the standard of care]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  9. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I have found a website that talks about healing damaged emboucures. Below is an excerpt.

"The most important step in dealing with the more troublesome symptoms of overuse�pain and swelling�is moist heat and ice therapy. For the ice therapy, you will need to obtain two small, refreezeable blue ice blocks�the kind you use in a sandwich bag or picnic cooler. The advantage of the blue blocks is they don�t melt; they stay ice cold for a very long time; they don�t drip; and you can put them directly on your lips without wrapping them in a cloth. Make sure you always have them frozen and ready for use.

After a playing session, especially when your lips feel particularly bruised and battered, take a washcloth, and saturate it with hot tap water�as hot as is comfortable. Stretch the moist, heated cloth across your face from below the eyes down. Wring it out and repeat. If you prefer, you can run very warm tap water on your lips under the faucet for several minutes. Then dry your face, take a frozen blue ice block from your freezer, and pat it on and off your lips�inside and out. (Never hold a frozen block on your lips for longer than it is comfortable.) Use the ice block for about 5 minutes. Do this at least three times during the day. Finally, do a slow, loose vibration of your lips for several minutes, after playing. Do this a few more times during the day. These therapies will not cure your problem, but they will help prevent carry-over lip swelling and soreness."

Source: New Page 1

10. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    That website is Lucinda Lewis I mentioned a bit earlier , she seems to have really done her research.