Having trouble lasting up high

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jul 1, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Hi Manny,

I have been playing with a concert band that does a lot of summer outdoor concerts.
    This year they chose music that has me playing above high C a lot.
    Normally I play on a Monette B15M.
    For this stuff I decided to play on a B15LD.

After a while it feels like I have a lot of resistance and I can't get the high notes out. By the end of the night I have trouble with high C.

I don't feel tired, it just feels like my lips swell or something. Last night I was thinking about it at the beginning of the job and I made an effort not to push or play hard and it still happened. I tried to use my regular mouthpiece and that didn't work. It felt way too big. I have never been able to change after I get warmed up.

I think the lead mouthpiece isn't the right shape for me.

Help please!!!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Joe,

When you switch to a mouthpiece like that from what you play you have to start off by playing lighter and acclimate that way. I wouldn't go in a try to blow the walls down at first. It's a "meeting' period where you have to get to know the sound of the mouthpiece relative to the sound the other mouthpiece creates. I'm going to bet you were playing harder than you needed to and the swelling you experienced is my first clue.

Spend the next few practices sessions, shows, rehearsals, whatever, playing a bit lighter and give your ear a chance to acquaint itself with the new sound and response.

ML

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

I only play on that mouthpiece for lead. Should I start practicing on it more?

If you say yes, what will happen to my playing on the regular mouthpiece?

I practiced this morning on the B15M and I felt really good.
    I play a lot of other things that I don't think I could play on the B15LD.

My next show with this band is Monday.

Thanks again,
    Joe

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played last night and I really took it easy. I lasted all night and all the high notes came out.

I'll try to practice on that mouthpiece more.

Thanks again Manny,

Joe

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had a similar problem. 8 years ago I switched to Monette Mouthpieces (B2/BL from a Schilke 18 /14A4A). The BL was too radical for me (chops bottomed out if I had been playing the B2 recently) and Tom at Monette suggested a B4L. That was a much better match for me. My chops didn't fall into the mouthpiece and I can still play lead all night. I need to check out this new "Slap" technology. Dean at Monette did a good job of convincing me to try it..........
    I do need to play the shallower mouthpiece more before a lead trumpet gig. If you are used to a big dark sound, your brain will try to get your body to compensate, even if the mouthpiece is designed to have a "lead" sound. A little bit of practice and you get used to the lead sound and have more endurance.

7. DRS

DRS New Friend

Oct 23, 2005
    Kalispell, MT
    Try the new SLAP version of the mouthpiece

I was encountering a similar issue in our concert band, so I consulted Dave and team. I play a B2 Prana in concert band, and a B2LD prana LT in a big band. Switching to the LD for demanding concert band schedules with a lot of high note work resulted in loosing some fo the flexibilty and precision that I needed playing the first book. Dave recommended the B2S (SLAP) series mouthpiece. I got it, tried it and WOW! It made a large difference. My upper register was much easier, I didn't have to blow as loud, the flexibility was much better than my B2, and the sound was brighter but yet still had a very broad tone. I have tried it in the big band and find that it is just a little too mellow when blowing along with the Bach guys.

I'd recommend talking to the Monette team and see if they can get you a SLAP - it's pretty darn good! Life is too short not to be playing equipment that makes you happy. Spend the time and money to get it right.

By the way, I play a 2000LT in concert band, just as a reference. The B2S series is an STC-1 weight.

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Try a B1-5LDDD as used by Scotty Barnhart (and me!).
    It is much more similar in blow to the 1-5M - less resistance than the B1-5L.
    It has a bigger sound than the B1-5L too but helps in the upper register.
    Its a custom piece but might be worth the gamble.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All the points above are really excellent. I think I've felt the same way you do Joe recently with the Brandenburg stuff. I actually had my first performance last night and used a 3C for it. Sounds really silly but this way I could play as soft as humanly possible (I'm not putting a pillow on my stand!) and just let my quick air do the rest. I tried a 5P and 7P and they both felt very stuffy to me. I can imagine the next time I perform #2 I'll invest in a custom pic mouthpiece!

FWIW,

T

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trent,
    your 3C sounded just fine to me! You even gave the flute a chance(very noble)!
    With that measure of success, the search for an even "better" picc mouthpiece could be difficult - or expensive!