Hayden Concerto Sizteenths

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by hrg96, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hrg96

hrg96 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    Re: Haydn Concerto Sixteenths

trumpetnick,

I was a music performance major in 1982. Not a great program, never picked up a C trumpet, a picc or did anything to actually learn how to become a professional trumpet player. Pretty good jazz program, but I never really hunkered down and learned all of the repertoire and methods that I would need regardless of which path (jazz/commercial/classical) I chose. Now after all of these years I have a desire to see how good I can become and am just trying to catch up.

On the Haydn, it was more of a trivial question. Again, I enjoy this instrument and I enjoy talking about it. Not trying to be lazy, just looking for educated opinions, which are scarce in the part of the country where I live.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The link sent me to a general section so I searched. I found a score but I don't believe that it has Haydn's original marks in it. I might have gone to the wrong place though.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nope - not really.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It matches the original score well enough. I have both.

When you look at the score, you first just look to see if the composer writes every fine detail, if they just make some suggestions at the beginning and expect the player/conductor to figure the rest out. You look for melodical lines in the strings and how they were handled. You research the keyed trumpet to find out what it could do. You try and get into Haydns head and figure out what he is showcasing here. Then you get into Anton Weidingers head and figure out what he could have done.

If you are really interested, you check out other works by Haydn to confirm your suspicions.

In this case, 16ths are not just 16ths. Some are in the high register and showcase the Eb natural trumpet. They would most likely be tongued. Others would need the keys and showcase a more lyrical side - something that did not exist before valves. Here, the treatment could be more violin like. Haydn composed a revolution of contrast. We need to look at the score and some of his string music. THINK about it - new horn, chromatics, low register now with more than G, C, E, G, Bb, C. No soprano tympany parts.

There is NO answer about the 16ths. It depends on the player and how unlazy they are about understanding this piece. Everything is logical once we give a crap. Various players will come up with various answers. That is legitimate if Haydns message is discovered and proclaimed. All interpretations are valid if they are musically consistent. In the case of this concerto, some things are more obvious than others.

While you are at it, you can also consider why Haydn did not incorporate this horn into any of his other works. Try and figure out why none of the symphonies used the keyed trumpet.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    coolerdave likes this.
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    This is a vote for the correct spelling of the names of composers. Regardless if an incorrect spelling results from a typo or from ignorance, it calls for a correction.

The small effort it takes to spell a composer's name correctly indicates a respect for the composer and a respect for the other people in the forum.

You can spell sixteenth any way you want, although you might be taken more seriously if you spell that correctly also.

8. hrg96

hrg96 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    Re: Haydn Concerto Sixteenths

I believe that I spelled it correctly after the first time. I also said that I agreed with TrumpetNick on doing so. You might want to try decaf.:-o

Thank you Rowuk, after all of that this was the answer I was looking for in the first place.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you seriously that uptight - I mean, do you really believe that?

You know, I used to spell it the way he did (Hayden) because I had never really paid that close attention to it before, (and that's how it's pronounced) and would probably still be spelling it that way had someone not nicely pointed it out to me.