Haydn and Hummel Concertos

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by trumpet blower88, Jun 16, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good recordings of the Haydn and Hummel Trumpet Concertos in Eb. I know there's got to be some good ones out there somewhere, I just can't find any! I'm going to be playing one for our Solo and Ensemble festival, and one for my collage audition, I've got the notes and rhythems down but I can't seem to hammer down the style, so maybe listening to recordings would help...
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Recordings I own:

hummel:
    sergei nakariakov
    timofei dokshitser
    armando ghitalla

haydn:
    sergei nakariakov
    Maurice Andre
    bud herseth

i know wynton has recorded these both also... i just cant find the cds

3. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    I love those concertos. I played the Haydn two years ago, and the Hummel last. Here're the recordings I used to help:

Haydn: Trumpet Concertos - Maurice Andre - EMI Classics

Both: The London Concert - Wynton Marsalis - Sony Classical

There's also this really good (and really young) Swedish (I think) trumpeter whose cd has the Haydn, but his name is unknown to me. Too bad too, he was one good trumpeter!

Hope this helps, and happy Hummeling and Hyding!

Jeff

4. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    The Wynton Marsalis Recordings of the Hummel and The Hadyn RULE!

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Maurice Andre for both.

ML

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Check out Rheinhold Fredrich's keyed trumpet recording of both (or Crispian Steele Perkins)

Wynton's London Concert recording of both is great.

HÃ¥kan Hardenberger has a great Haydn recording too.

If you're having trouble with style, listen to other Classical pieces too. Mozart, Haydn, etc etc. Listen to more than just the trumpet concertos.

7. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Hakan

Hakan Hardenburger has a great recording through Phillips, 2 disc set of all the major trumpet concerti. It may be blasphemy, but I prefer his sound to Maurice Andre's. His vibrato is a little fast, but he has a wonderful clear tone and a very carefree high register.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't notice Hakan mentioned in the last post, but hopefully you know a little more about it now

8. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Maurice Andre and Hakan Hardenberger for both!

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I''ll add Mendez' version of the Haydn to the list. He had his own perspective and it's great.

Dokshitzer version is a must hear also.

For a little humor find the Al Hirt Haydn.

10. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestion, maybe sometime in my life I'll get the time to listend to ALL of them!
    Anyways, I was working with my private teacher yesterday on the HUmmel, we were both playing from our own coppies of the music but we noticed we were doing some things compleatly diferant. We looked at it closer and saw that it was actualy written differant! Now I can understand some minor differances like one part being P and one part being MP, but these were huge differances. There we're probably 5 or 6 times that mine was written in FF, but hers was in P or MP. Measure 130, on the eigth nots my has written in marcatto accents, but hers has tenutos!
    Theres even one part at measure 143, I have an A writen, but she has an F#!!! These are huge differances, does anyone know whats up with this? I understand some people play it differantly and use their own styles and whatnot, but I would think it should still be written the same way for the most part!
    If it means anything, mine is copyrighted in 1949 by Roger Voisin, her copy is 1950 by Armando Ghitalla.