Haydn Concerto?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Meldog, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I have the opportunity to be playing this with a small community orchestra I am a member of this fall. I will be playing all three movements. The question I have is, does anyone have any advice? More so I'm looking at it from the aspect of making this a spectacular performance compared to just a solid performance. Are there any small things that I can do? I guess this really isn't a question in regards to the actual solo but I want to make it so people just go WOW. I don't mean a wow as in from a technical aspect just from the overall performance. I have the music down and I'm just reworking some of the dynamics, musicality aspects, and some other minor things. The cadenza is written and I'm working on it. This is also my first time playing a solo with an orchestra. Is it much different then playing with a piano or are there some tricks of the trade I should be aware of? I'm not looking for actual advice on the solo, I have about 15 to 20 recordings of the piece so I've heard many different interpretations. Thanks in advance!!

Adam W. Metzler

2. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Adam -

Congratulations on getting the opportunity! You've already heard all my advice (probably some of it more than once), but if you can send an mp3 of it when it's done, I'd love to hear how you're playing.

Cheers,
    Josh

3. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    Thanks!! Yeah, for some reason now when playing much of your advice is going on in my head. I don't know if this is a problem I should seek help for or not...lol :D I'm going to be putting a file up on my website of the whole solo. I'll let you know when it's up!!

Adam

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

It is usually difficult to get a non professional orchestra to play the tempo that you want. It is much easier to get a single pianist to do it (most of the time). There is also the common problem of the conductor thinking he/she knows how your part should be played better than you do. :x

It shouldn't cause too many difficulties physically. A band is harder to deal with because they play too LOUD! If you think that the accompaniment is too loud during rehearsal just turn around and face the orchestra. They should be able to hear you well. If they can't, they need to play softer.

5. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Adam,

Congratulations on your opportunity.

Just practice so you know the piece cold. And when you get to the performance, have FUN with it. When the audience sees you working hard and having fun, they'll be right there with you.

Let us know how it goes.

Best of luck,
    Warren

6. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Maybe an exorcism would be the answer...

:lol:

7. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    WAy cool, dude. Have fun with it.

I've played it in front of a band and in front of a piano. I like the band better, the response between the accompaniment and the soloist is much better. Yes, they're harder to contain and coordinate, but there are passages that just need to have more body and volume than the keyboard gives you. To me, it's worth any of the problems.

Of course...I haven't done it with an orchestra yet (Manny???)!!

The only advice I can give is to memorize the entire piece. Everything. Practice with the music -- heck, PERFORM with the music -- you want it there just in case, but memorize it. During those flowing passeages, you'll be able to forget everything and just sing through your horn. You close your eyes and gold comes out of your bell. I think this works wonders.

I played the thing in front of Manny one time, and I sucked. Why? Becuase I wasn't thinking about the music .. i was thinking about everything else. And unfortunatley for me, I just HAVE to hear or be singing the music in my head in order to play something correctly.

Besides, taking the time to memorize it really gives you a more intimate understanding of the pice. YOu'll be glad you did.

Z