Haydn on an Eb!!

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Meldog, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I am playing the Haydn with the orchestra I play with this fall. I have been working my tail off on it using a Bb trumpet. I just started my masters in Music Ed and I am taking lessons. My teacher said hey, would you like to use my Eb and of course I said yes. He brought it to tonights lesson and told me to play the first movement. I have never even touched an Eb before but WOW!! I thought it was definitely a tad easier to play on the Eb but the one thing I noticed right away it will allow me to express myself more easily. Plus I found that fun little lick up to the concert Db so much easie ront he Eb then on Bb. Anyways I'm totally psyched to play the Haydn this fall and had to share my experience!!

Adam W. Metzler

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Congratulations! :bravo: Are you going to compose your own cadenza or use one of the famous ones?

Good luck and enjoy!

3. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    Thanks!! I composed my own. I had one I wrote for my Jr. Recital in college but I've grown not to like it as much so I rewrote it. I used bits and pieces from others that I heard and liked and kept some of the parts of the one I originally wrote that I liked also. It's kind of a combination of about 4 different cadenzas including my original one. Now I have the Eb I have to change one small part because the Eb is a 3 valve so it can't go down to low F in the cadenza I had for Bb but otherwise it's good to go. I also added two cadenzas in the 3rd movement. I heard them and liked them so I figured I'd use them..lol.

Adam W. Metzler

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The weird thing is that although I own an insanely expensive Eb trumpet, the two times I have performed the Haydn I have played it on Bb.

I think its to do witht he sound, once you have heard it played on original instrument its hard to imagine it played on an Eb.