Haydn Trumpet Concerto 1st Movement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, May 4, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting. I got glowing praise from the judge when I played it at our regional and district music contests, and won the "Best of Class Trumpet Solo" award at the first one. (The district contest had no awards - just ratings, and I scored a 1+ at both) While looking at it from a graded perspective, I can see why the high Eb might be a big deal, but it's not really an issue from a musical one - at least not in any setting where I performed it.

2. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Agreed. I suppose this particular Judge just wanted to make a stink about it. He even mentioned it in the oral comments he gave immediately after the performance.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    then again there's always the decrescendo up to the Eb to pppppp ..did he hit that????
    brassplayer..concerning your signature.. we played a Mahler piece in college and one of the trumpet players took the final note up to a high F (not written) it was some sort of major 7th chord and on the freakin cutoff it cracked down to an Eb ... you heard it echo endlessly .. the conductor went over everyone of our faces to find the offending party .. I heard the principle trumpet player whisper still holding the horn up against his lips "if you ever do that again I will kill you"

4. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Please tell me this was just a rehearsal and not the performance.

God bless Trumpet Player MentalityROFL ROFL ROFL

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    unfortunately it was our Spring concert... the same guy leaned over to me just before I started playing a solo in a Gerswin piece and said "I'll cover you" ,,, I had a G (over the staff) very exposed thing that I was caught between the F and G for the longest of eternities... the conductor again looking at me as if to say "someone please make him stop,,, the principle player said to me.. he was trying to distract you ... he did a fine job of it ...

6. seager

seager New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Does anyone know where to get sheet music online for the first movement for B Flat Trumpet?
    Any help greatly appreciated, Sandy