Haydn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matthoffner, Apr 17, 2006.

1. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    Hi Manny,

I having been working on the first movement of Haydn for a while, and I was curious about your interpretation of the theme and the articulation on the sixteenth notes in the development section (slur 2, toungue all, etc...) Do you have a favorite recording you could recommend?

This also relates to a comment I read of yours on TH about artculation differences between composers/periods. I would like to think I know the difference, but a teacher told me that my Haydn wasn't "classical" enough.

Thanks,

Matt
    go Yankees :)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Matt,

I don't remember what I wrote but I hope I'm consistent in my philosophy. For me, it's less about about what gets slurred or tongued and more about the elegance of the phrasing, where you move towards a note and what notes you back away from. That's probably the thing that turns me off of more performances, the poor phrasing I hear too often. With ornamented notes, they have to add to the phrase and not distract me. In other words, the whole phrase has to sound natural, as ntural as a great actor reciting a line by Shakespeare.

ML

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I can play it technically best if I tongue everything.

I think I play it best musically when I slur everything.

With that piece I try to play like a violin. Effortlessly just playing through the line.

I do have trouble with the last set but I get it if I practice enough.

4. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    Thank you, that helps alot.

-Matt

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Post Mannheim, so play the ink and seek out the Tarr/Landon version. Take care that the slurred parts sound like a keyed instrument and not a trombone. Slam the valves down and notch like crazy. Try it on flugelhorn or cornet (old style) for an authentic sound ideal.