He Is The Most Interesting Man In The Trumpet World ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RustoleusMaximus, May 20, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mauna Kea (White Mountain), the tallest volcano on the "big island" of Hawaii, is likely the tallest mountain on Earth. Measured from its base, it is about 10,000 meters tall, but only 4205 m are above water. If underwater waterfalls count, so do underwater mountains.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... and there I was thinking it was "The Quality That Counts" (with thanks to Samuel O. Arnott biscuit maker to the world).

3. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Which brings us back to Dr. Schmidt....

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thank you AMZI for posting that -- for some reason I didn't find it ---- and I listened to Amazing Grace and a few others -- Obviously Dr. Schmidt can play the trumpet. Amazing Grace was a nice sound, as for the "HIGH NOTES" higher than anyone else, I still remain a skeptic (primarily because I've got a bunch of recordings from Maynard, Arturo, Morrison, Phil Driscoll, and such ---
    but YES, again AMZI -- thank you for posting ---- at least 1 person here listened to the recordings

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hm - I'm not sure Amazing Grace would put Dr. Mike into my top 10 favourites at all -- especially what he does to it at 2:10 onwards. If they are his high notes then they are sadly out of tune and don't sound comfortable at all.
    The other songs he has on that page are much better (the ones I listened to) though I don't think he is in the same class as Doc or Arturo or Maurice André etc.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks for re-iterating my point -- ((I actually liked the Amazing Grace - perhaps it is only because I have practiced diligently enough to perhaps pull off Dr Schmidt's version)) --- of course, I will remain a skeptic of Dr. Mikey, as I don't believe he has neither the highest nor the loudest notes))

of course -- the following vid is a lot of singing --- but at the 2 minute mark ----OK, NOW THIS IS THE VERSION I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DO (((of course, if some of you are purist, you may not like the changes)))

Phil Driscoll Amazing Grace - YouTube

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With that much reverb and digital delay I'm sure you'd sound even better than the bulbous-headed one.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    He might have been done with the song, put away his trumpet, and sat down before the sound stopped.