He Is The Most Interesting Man In The Trumpet World ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RustoleusMaximus, May 20, 2013.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Bumblebee--I don't know what to say, I was not impressed. But even if it was as the arranger intended (since the composer lived in the 19th century) I would think that the 7th best Christian trumpet player in the world would have picked a better piece of music.

bumblebee likes this.
  2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    It's a shame we couldn't hear the same piece by the 6th best player, just for comparison.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Not impressed with the video and, frankly, the loudest or highest bit just seems to ego speaking.

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Hmmm :

After hearing this great tune all my life i'm completely confused by his interpretation,This song has so much to offer in the way of praise and thoughtfulness ,none of which was there ,if it was loud er not?

Why does anyone have too Jazz up a perfectly good song ? Style points ? bah Play the tune like it is written and show off with a small add lib if you must, but for pity sakes at least give us a Chorus we can recognize :shock:

Remember this is why it's called Traditional music ?

:dontknow:

Dean_0

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, traditional means pre-19th Century, but I'm not against new settings of old tunes, as long as the tunes themselves aren't messed with. Case in point, Befiehl du deine Wege, melody by Bartholomäus Gesius in 1603, text by Paul Gerhardt 1653. Gerhardt's genius is a great reason to learn German; in Befiehl du deine Wege he used the text from Psalm 37:5 "Befiehl dem HERRN deine Wege und hoffe auf ihn, er wird's wohlmachen" to start each of the twelve verses, and in doing so, it doesn't come across as contrived, but illuminating. Snubnose uses verse one (twice) verse seven and verse twelve, and they don't mess with the melody! Waay more reverent than the good doctor or bulbous-headed Phil. I would state this as being my opinion, except that I am right--there are some things that are best not argued with Vulgani.

Befiehl du deine Wege snubnose - YouTube

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    When I play in any church, whether it's my own or a different church that has hired me, it's always my intent to glorify God. It doesn't matter if it's contemporary or traditional. Being the highest or the loudest has never entered my mind. And, by the way, I've never been formally ranked as to my "top ten" status, or "top 10,000" for that matter. I didn't know such a thing existed in Christian music circles.

bumblebee likes this.
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am going to hear Artisans in Brass this Sunday. Wonder where Fred Powell and George Dougherty fit in the "Top Ten"? I'll find out.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I think you would need to check with Dr. Schmidt. He's the only guy that I know of that has "the list"

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    D'oh, silly me. Forgot about that! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    His trumpet talent has been compared to Harry James
    His extreme trumpet playing has been compared to Maynard Ferguson
    His buttery flugel playing has been compared to Chuck Mangione..........
    Hmmmmmmmm,
    Well, my playing has been compared to Wynton Marsalis'> not as good, not by a long shot.. There you have it.