He Is The Most Interesting Man In The Trumpet World ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RustoleusMaximus, May 20, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He should know what's on it. FWIW, I was talking to the two gentleman I mentioned earlier, both are "heavyweight" players in the "christian" genre, and they had never heard of him. They were respectful, but just shook their heads, "Don't know him". BTW, they are in the same denomination as the doctor. Hmm.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You could also refer to the rest of the flaky logic in my post.

With respect to "never heard of him" - I can't see any list of "signature" mouthpieces on the Legends mouthpiece website, and the list of mouthpieces there barely mentions "Scodwell" which I assume is Tony Scodwell from Las Vegas.

--bumblebee

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, never heard of it!! ;-);-);-) ROFLROFLROFL

4. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think by "Christian" both genre and faith are combined. As a genre Christian music has a long and noble history. Almost all those baroque pieces written for solo trumpet and strings were meant to be played in church, and think of all the great cantatas, oratorios, masses, requiems written by genius composers. The German chorales, meant to be singable by the congregation, have some wonderful writing and some amazing texts. In America we have the homespun examples of spirituals and gospels. There is a lot of great music that concerns itself with the eternal.

When we look at so broad a genre, we must also include lesser works. (For me, many of them are the late 19th Century and early 20th Century revivalist hymns that sound like badly written college fight songs with barbershop quartet harmonies: yes, I am biased, elitist, whatever; too old to change, too knowledgeable to want to and humility is not my greatest virtue.) These lesser works seem to be the sub-niche that Dr. Schmidt (and I suspect many of the top-ten) has chosen. That is fine; he is able to delight and inspire people, which is the whole point of playing.

What frees me to bash is the attitude conveyed by his huckstering. (I like the flight definition of attitude, the way in which one is leaning, by the way.) Winged-one that I am, and admittedly not humble (see above) I would never have the nerve to call my ministry "The Trumpet of the Lord." "A Trumpet..." maybe. I have listed my trumpets on a CD, but never mouthpieces, because, uhh, I didn't play the same ones as in the pictures. The only press quotes I used were from reputable newspapers and journals.

So, I don't mind bashing the good Doctor for ethical and musical reasons. I don't like the idea of taking the amazing heritage of Christian music, cutting out the best parts and leaving a box so small that I'm one of the top ten performing within it and then selling it to folk.

6. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Okay - then I think my response which was intended to insert a measure of "balance" to the thread ended up resembling a challenge to global warming...

--bumblebee

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    It seems more honest to me, to use my trumpet to glorify Christ, than to use Christ to glorify my trumpet.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    " Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post
    Would't that require a sex change? I would hope there would be a plea from our female members to please stop this from happening. Your sex has a reputation to uphold. Just say no to MS. KT.
    uhm -- Dude -- no way!! -- I was NOT thinking of a sex change ---- I was thinking of me being the only "male - guest" trumpet or trombone player in the band -- -temporarily of course ----- I am sure that is all my HEART will take ------ "

I think I saw this plot in an old movie with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon... and some hot blonde chick.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Anyone that produces the highest and loudest notes on the trumpet ejects more CO[SUP]s[/SUP] than other trumpeters into the atmosphere and therefore has a bigger carbon footprint than most trumpet players. Add to that the methane from his website, and yeah, when the poles melt and Australia becomes an island, don't blame TM! ;-)

10. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Umm - Australia already is an island...

--bumblebee

Of course you knew that, and I am just making it clear for those who don't.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013