Head Phones for live performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Aug 30, 2007.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    My hearing impairment is starting to present some new challenges. I need to get a high waulity head set to use while playing with the vocal ensemble at our church. Sadly, I have NO idea what to get. Rather than just walk into Radio Shack and hope the sales clerk knows what he/she is talking about, I thought I would ask TMers for some advice first. I need something that is going to give me some good quality sound without taking out a second mortgage!

Some background on what we are doing.........

I have been asked by the music director at our church to help advance our worship music to a more upbeat style, especially for our Sunday evening services.

Rather than just play solos with canned CD's, I have chosen a mix of trumpet solos and trumpet/vocal ensembles to present during worship over the next 6 months. It is working with the vocal ensemble that is presenting the challenge. Our sound techs usually set up a monitor speaker for me, and that works fine for the solos. But if the monitor is set so that I can hear the CD track playing, I can't hear the vocalists. Hence the need for the head phones.

Thanks

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dick,
    headphones are a special situation. In theory, they do not do anything differently than the monitor - except that they do not radiate (much) sound into the room. The technician would need to give you a mix of the CD AND the vocals so that you would have enough of each. That could also happen through the monitor though.
    The two basic types of headphones are ones that block out ambient sound(closed back or in-ear) or ones that are "hear through" (open back).
    Headphones are as individual as trumpets. Professional brands that would be suitable would be AKG, Sennheiser, Koss, Shure, Beyerdynamic and Sony. You really need to try them out before you lay out any cash! For quality phones figure on at least $100-150.

3. RevTekkX

RevTekkX New Friend

Aug 30, 2007
    Michigan
    First suggestion, work with your sound engineers to get a dynamic mix you are able to work with.

Second, if you MUST go with cans (tech lingo for headphones) look at

Shure PSM 200 | Sweetwater.com

If in an in-ear monitor system will bust the budget then the use of in-ear phones

Etymotic Research ER-6 | Sweetwater.com

is DEFINITELY recommended above over the ear headphones.

Galaxy Hot Spot Monitors or other multi-input micro monitors are an option.

If you find yourself with deep pockets some day look at the devices a company called Aviom has to offer!

Aviom Inc.

RevTekkX

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I totally disagree. The original poster has stated that he has a hearing loss. THAT should be addressed first with an expert,qualified and in some states, licensed audiologist, perhaps even an EENT MD before the audiologist. Attmpting to cure a major wound with a bandaid just seems foolish and a waste of money to me.

OLDLOU>>

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OldLou does have a very good point, but if I recall from other posts, Dick has his ducks VERY well lined up. Maybe he can elaborate a bit!

6. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    OLDLOU;

This is not a new problem. My entire family has genetic nerve degeneration (I forget the exact medical term...but that's close enough). I and my siblings have worn hearing aids for many years.

What IS new is that this is the first time I have tried to work by myself with a vocal ensemble (as opposed to the full praise band with the ensemble).

And thanks to everybody for your suggesstions!

7. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Dick -

I would stay away from anything that goes IN the ear. (Although I own & love the Etymotic Research ER-6 phones, I would NOT recommend them for trumpet playing.) Also, SONY headphones are great but tend to block out too much live sound. I would go with AKG or Sennheiser and always try to keep one ear uncovered.

Tony