Headache

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe N., May 11, 2007.

1. Joe N.

Joe N. New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    Hey everyone,

I know this has happened to you before when playing real loud or real high and I was just wondering what this phenomena of trumpet headache is. These are the ones that hurt real bad for a second and then go away. I know it can't be good for you, but is this harmful?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi Joe...

Actually this has never happened to me, and I have been accused of playing real loud. (if not real high)

Anything that hurts real bad cannot be good for you and most likely IS harmful.

Maybe demonstrate for your doctor.

-cw-

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Ok, the headache is probably caused by blowing too hard with a closed or restricted throat. In medical terms this situation is called the Valsalva Maneuver.
    It may be mirrored by closing the throat and bearing down hard as in constipation aka the "willnots" It just will not come out!
    Momentary rise in blood pressure, dilation of the brain's blood vessels, may be pushed to blackout. Is it dangerous? If too frequently performed, yes.

Cheers,

Brian R.N., BSN

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Check to see that your tongue is not too arched in the back, and if relaxing the tongue doesn't help,checking with you doctor would be the prudent thing to do. Good luck!

5. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Now...you know what we mean when we talk about..."Blowing our brains out" (in the non-suicidal manner, of course)

Monitor the condition, its NOT something you want to do a lot without medical input.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Do What Brian says. He has the credentials.

Joe, I checked your other posts and see that you are 15.
    Get some breathing lessons from a trumpet teacher or a vocal music teacher.

If you still have headaches
    get your blood pressure checked. I am in the midst of the battle with high blood pressure. I get headachs when it is high. I have to be careful and keep good breath support playing trumpet. My optomitrist showed me today what high BP is doing to my retinas.
    Ok, you are a lot younger than me but, this is a good time to learn about future problems.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  7. DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod

DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod New Friend

May 10, 2007
    Southern Tier
    Uhh, that has never happened to me. In jazz band I am principal trumpeter. I get accused constantly because I love to accent the high notes (when i have the energy). But I think you may have something wrong with you embouchre. It may be because you are to stressed when going up high. Or when you do go and play higher, you do not have the correct amount of air to support the higher notes.

8. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Man, this happens to me all the time. I often play in the g3 range and up all the way to g4, and when I get up their my head hurts like heck. Better be careful or I might end up with a bulge in my brain :shock:

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You said this happens to you often.

If that's so I'd err on the side of caution and check with my family doctor.

I've been playing on and off for a long time and never had that happen to me regardless of how high or low I was playing.

It's never a bad policy to get it checked out.

Also I think that having a couple of breathing lessons with a trusted pro would really help you out. For 20 years I didn't breathe right and never knew it; my playing post pro has never been better!

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Don't listen to Chuck, he's got the SOLAR BELL :troll: ROFL

Seriously, maybe you need to come back on earth ROLL This is the trumpeter's sea (outer space" desease ROFL) All the recommendation were good so I don't have much to add...Ultimately if you cannot last up there don't push yourself too hard...Probably you need to do like Maynard: go to Tibet and learn how to breath from the buddha monks...or find another way to beat the physics.

Last edited: May 15, 2007