headaches after playing High B and above; remedy with tensed adominal muscles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Yep, those are the headaches I used to have. You have to learn how to relax your shoulders and use proper technique. As an example, I once heard Trent Austin hit double c's with absolutely no effort because his technique is so good.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The ability to hit extreme register (on the trumpet) with ease is not necessarily the product of good technique all of it's own. It will certainly require practice. Maybe a lot of it. But in fact the ability of the embouchure to emit a tone above High G without significant effort on the part of the trumpet player is specific to certain embouchure types.

And ONLY those chop settings. The rest of us may have to get ugly to hit them.

The good news for those of us who use a lot of stress is that those who play "effortless high notes" often have tones so pitifully small that no one will even hear them in the audience. Maybe not even the sax section will hear them without amplification.

Not next to the strong lead player with a receded jaw setting. Sure he'll be using a lot of effort. But he has a solid tonal core and can CUT through the whole band even in loud tutti sections*.

*Just last year I was criticized by another trumpet player for "playing too loud" in a full big band. Seems like an impossibility but I noted his complaint. Then a week later I happened to hear this cat play lead. Couldn't hear him at all! lol

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I'm certainly one of those high-effort, loud neanderthals!!!!!!!! Grip and rip!!!! However, over the last few I've actually learned that double g and up do fit into chords! :shock::D:play::thumbsup:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay, did you guys (and gals) notice the ad at the top of this thread:

Migraine Headaches Suffering From Migraine Headaches? Use These 3 Tricks To Relieve Them. SmartAsk.com | Oops
    Neck Pain Relief Learn 3 Simple Tricks To Relieve Neck Pain Today. It's Easy! healthdesk.com/neck-pain-relief/1
    Cervical Dystonia Signs Assess Symptoms & Learn About A Proven Cervical Dystonia Treatment. BOTOX® Medical | Treatment for Cervical Dystonia | Blepharospasm | Strabismus

I mean this is uncanny. Is BIG BROTHER watching us??? The stress of such a possibility is GIVING ME SUCH A HEADACHE!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Like a fine wine, the Trents double Cs are a function of the TLC invested long before his notes reached your ears. Believe me, decades of years of qualified practice are the effort behind each of Trent's notes. That effort is far greater and more productive than any hammer approach.

I would even go so far to say that it is not his "technique", rather the integration of his mind, body use, chops, ears and soul. You can teach relax and squeak, it takes a fine mind to turn that into an integrated musical statement. This is why a specific body approach is pure BS. No book can integrate us.

6. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I do not see anywhere about how you love the sound of the instrument. How great it feels when you have the horn fill the room with this wonderful, full rich sound.
    You are looking for high Cs in a few months. You have not gotten a trumpet teacher yet?
    You are tracticing until you drop. Slow down. Enjoy what you have. It sounds like you have enough going for you to play some real music. THAT is the purpose/
    Follow the advice, get a good teacher, long tones to get the sound YOU want. Slurs to get tome flexibility. I find my best practice routine is to play 4-5 times a day. I start inthe morning. Maybe a warm up...Be sure to do that. A few slurs, scales then a few tunes that I enjoy. I put it down and pick it up a few minutes or hours later. You sound like a guy who wants to be a weight lifter and piles 500 pounds on. Struggles and strains because other folks who have been practicing for years can do it.
    Slow down. The Trumpet is a beautiful emotional instrument. Listen and enjoy it