Headrush/headache after holding out high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetScreamer, Jul 5, 2008.

1. TrumpetScreamer

TrumpetScreamer New Friend

Jun 29, 2008
    Alright I will look those things up as well, thanks for the input everyone. :-)

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    In a few short words:

You are breathing with your lower rib cage compressing the air. Stop doing that.

Do it this way:
    As you inhale push your stomach out.
    Hold your breath this way for a fraction of a second to get the feel of it.
    Pressurize the air stream with the upper band of abdominal muscles.
    Start low in the staff and scale up while increasing the air, tongue level and upper lip contraction. You will have a lot to work on, take a lot of time. Get an exercise book to guide you.

If you contract your upper lip muscle too soon and too hard you can tear the muscle. It will end your career.

One way we were shown how to breath was to sit in a chair. Take in a lot of air down deep with the gut pushed out. Bend over and point your trumpet at the floor and play. The only way you can get the air out is using your abdominals. This was from Michael Tunnell. Mike Tunnell Trumpet Studio > School of Music > University of Louisville

Get this book at Hicky's music: Progressive studies in the High Register. Keith Johnson.
    Hickeys Music Center - Trumpet Studies & Etudes It is only $10.00 I really like it. I have been playing it every day.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Oh, it could hurt... A LOT (your wallet). With doctor rates soaring, good luck trying to find one to give you a check up for under $300, which is WAY more than I'm willing to pay to find out nothing is wrong with me (which is always what they tell you, even when you ARE sick, at least the ones in my region, whom are terrible doctors).

Your best bet is to do all you can NOT to use pressure on your lips. Gradually exercise using no pressure on more and more material, until it always comes natural to you, THEN you start working on your range, but not before you've eliminated pressure. I know from experience that that's exactly what's causing your headaches and that using no pressure is exactly how to fix it. You'll also notice that your tone will improve drastically when you don't use pressure and aren't all tensed up. Only as a last resort should you see a doctor if this still happens, or gets worse after you've been laying off the pressure, but that's after you've been avoiding pressure. I'm glad I decided to avoid pressure rather than see the doctor, I'm no millionaire.

That sounds like what I used to experience. During jazz band at least 4-5 times a day I would play too high and feel like I was about to pass out, sometimes to the point that I really didn't know whether or not I would pass out, although I never did pass out. This would follow with a headache, but it would ALWAYS go away within a minute, except once, when I really blacked out and nearly passed out, that time I had a really bad headache that lasted 2 days, I almost considered seeing the school nurse or leaving school. Pressure is bad, just use less and less every day then work on your range after you've mastered pressure.

4. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Rowuk you are the man

5. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    You guys are probably right on this issue. I have just never had any pain that was severe enough to even come close to making me quit playing. I had a friend who did go to the doctors for unusual headaches. Sure enough, they told him it was stress, nothing to worry about. Several weeks later his anurism ruptured and he went down. He did survive, however. This was in the back of my mind. I to hate to visit the Dr's.