Health foods/activities for trumpet players.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Liad Bar-EL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I will just start this off with mentioning a couple of them.

Green vegetables, green salads and in particular Wheat Grass Juice. The green is chlorophyll which is an oxygen producing agent that will increase the oxygen level of your blood giving you more strength and relieves tiredness.

Fish oil (Omega 3) enhances blood circulation. Eating fish will give you this oil plus the protein you need without the fat usually obtained from meat.

This is not a food but obtaining at least 30 minutes of sun light a day will produce vitamin D for your bones and it will enhance your mood. Sunlight is a mood booster. All musicians could use a booster for their moods. :D

Liad Bar-EL

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I guess you guys are all on the most perfect diet and exercise program that you don't have anything to add to my comments.

Would you mind sharing with me what you already know and do?

Thanks,

Liad Bar-EL

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend who raced bicycles up into his 50's and was very compeitive in sprints and distance racing and I asked him his secret, his reply was
    "junk food and beer" he also practiced 35 - 50 miles a day. Dave

4. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    I've never tried wheat grass juice, but I do buy this stuff called "Earth's Promise." It's wheat grass plus 10 to 20 other ingredients. After drinking the stuff for a week or so I can actually tell a difference in my energy level. It comes in a few different varieties - orange, purple, red and a couple kinds of green. It's good to start on the purple because the green tastes like swamp water. Other than that, my "healthy" diet is pretty boring. Whole wheat pasta, red sauce, pasta . . . ah, the joys of marathon training.

As far as exercises, I find it critical to keep up on my crunches, or sit-ups. When I'm running high-mileage weeks, my endurance on the horn will drop straight off after 45 minutes or so because I simply run out of air. Doing crunches seems to help this for whatever reason.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have been a Vegetarian for many years. I'm in pretty good shape for an older guy........"Now eat your veggies"..........:roll:
    Wilmer

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Glad to see a post about health in general.

since 7/20 I'm down 20 lbs and I work out 6 days a week. No more sodas, caffeine, fried foods, sweets... and I don't miss them a bit.

As my mom (dietician) says... "Nothing tastes as good as fitness feels!"

She's right.

I'm on this for good.

-T

7. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Wilmer, you are starting to sound like my mother, which I had finally listened to this last year and took up eating veggies. The organic veggies taste good to me. I have food allergies, so I have to be careful, even with some veggies.

Liad, I'd try the Wheat Grass Juice, except that I'm allergic to wheat as well as all dairy products. It does sound like it has done some wonders for you.

Trent, that is great! Nothing like feeling great! You sound committed! Does you mom tell you to eat your vegetables, too?

I've been focusing on nutrition for about the last 1 1/2 years since my health has been going downhill. It is sad that some people have to have an illness to wake them up to start changing their eating habits and lifestyle, but sometimes that is what it takes.

I've tried to eliminate all food allergens from my diet. I mainly eat grains (oatmeal, oat bran, brown rice, rice bread), vegetables (organic, if possible), fruit (Granny Smith apples are less sweet and sugary than other fruits and berries assist with immunity), light, lean meats (turkey and chicken, but not fried) and lean beef in rare instances. I usually drink herbal tea and water. Rice or soy milk goes on my cereal. I try to avoid sugar, except if it is natural.

I've lost over 30 pounds in about a year, except that I've gained backed about 5 pounds. More important than the weight loss is how I feel. Sure I look better, but feeling and being healthier is more important to me.

In addition to what I eat, I take Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, garlic, acidophilus, Omega-3 Complex (Omega-3, Flax, and Borage), L-Lysine (for those sores in my mouth), Lecithin, Magnesium Malate, and Calcium. Sometimes, I take other immune boosters, too. I should really add a multi-vitamin.

For exercise, I walk my dog three times a day or is it that she walks me. Walking around in New York City is good exercise.

Your health is very important. More than I ever thought that it would be. Stay healthy, trumpet players!

Janell

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  8. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    exercise

I made an interesting discovery in the past two weeks. I have been on an exercise program for over a year now following heart attack, triple by-pass, complications out the wazoo, etc. Anyway, I recently started doing my aerobic exercise after my first two pracice sessions of the day, having a spot of lunch, and then doing my next two sessions. I have found that I start the third session much more refreshed than when I exercised later. To be honest, I don't know if it is mental or physical, but it seems to help me a lot.
    I try to follow a heart healthy diet also.
    Roy Griffin

9. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Healthfoods/Activities for Trumpet Players

Hello. Good to see some are interested in their health. One of the most informative books for eating correctly for good health is a Book titled : Eat Right for Four Bloodtypes. By author Dr.Peter J. D' Adamo. I work part time with a NaturalPathic Doctor with a degree in eastern herbal med. etc. You would not believe what these new breed of chemical doctors are doing to people. And how they are over medicating for every little thing. The majority of illness starts from wrong eating habits and lack of exercise, having a good daily sweat and proper bowel and kidney elimination. You would be amazed at the people who have a bowel movement once every three days or so. When they first come in to do a detox program and see how many chemical drugs they can get off. The breathe is rancid and body order as well. Within this year alone. If I had listen to my medical doctors. I would have already had two rotor cup surgerys to my shoulders and on my way to a low back and hip surgery. I am a O blood type. The southern diet is very bad health wise to a O and A and AB and RH blood type. We are allergic to corn, wheat, dairy, and pork. I was eating two to three days in a Mexican restaurant every week. It was giving me a lot of joint inflammation like gout etc. The three main bad food sources, wheat, corn, and dairy and some pork. Quit eating in them and limit chinese also. Alas no more joint pain and no surgerys. www.naturessunshine.com is the top health food and natural health info. company in the U.S.A. Their master herbilist and M.D. Dr. Ron Logan has a great site and you can buy his DVD's on many health subjects.His site is www.ronlogan.com. About the wheat grass. That is its name. It is a green grass and nothing to do with wheat. We have gotten many poor children being doped with Riddlen. By putting them on a high quality name brand of wheat Grass. They are usually cured of attenion defecient probs in a matter of days. It is a nutrition disease of lack of minerals. Will stop here for now. Anyone who would like any futher info. on some specifics. Feel free to e-mail. Here is great energy drink. There is a instant type of green tea out now. Each stick packet is equal to 8 reg. cups of green tea. And one stick to large bottle of water and 2 packets of Xylitol sugar. Sip on through day. May go through two bottles a day. you will have a lot of energy and not crave white sugar items. The more Xylitol sugar you incorparate in your daily diet. You will tend to want to eat more fruits than junk food. Dibetics can improve immensly by switching to Xylitol. It also increases the good bacteria etc. over the bad in mouth, sinus etc. Will not rot teeth. Whew enough said. Later

10. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Why spoil it with good wholesome health food.

He had better be wearing a beeper so that his relatives with medical team can find him.

BTW, what makes you think that 50 is old?

Liad Bar-EL