Hearing note then "play"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 30, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi in his Master Class on You Tube
    H.Hardenberger says you must hear the notes in your head befo re. You play
    them
    Ok so if you listen to good /great horn music
    and copy would that be a good way to train ur ear

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I would interpret that as mentally hearing the notes and rhythms before you play them as opposed to physically hearing the notes and then playing them back. Similar to visualizing what you are about to do, then doing it.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I don't think that was the intended message. My experience has always centered around a mental image of what I want to produce, parts of which are pitch, tone, attack, etc., but it is all about an image of something that I want to produce (actually re-produce). I personally think that comes from paying attention/listening to what you are doing while you doing it, time and time again.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When trying to "interpret" master classes, you need to consider who was in the audience.

I agree with mgcoleman - and consider "hearing" the note to mean MUCH more than its pitch. Hearing the note means its texture, its place in the composition, its shape, dynamics, articulation. Hearing it means that an inner voice is guiding you - into oblivion if you haven't practiced and into eternal bliss if you are really prepared. Hearing it can also be a spontaneous thing if we are familiar with the style of the music.

5. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    This is exactly what was intended, I believe. To take that a step further, as one of the best jazz men I ever knew used to tell me; you have to be able to "scat sing it" in order to "swing it" and you need to be able to do this before you ever put the horn to your lips.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    All of the information you have been given to this point is exactly correct.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Pre-hearing the note before we play is an essential skill that is developed over time. As has been said hearing the note involves the total sound of the note in context of the music being played. It's vital when starting a first note cold, esp as we ascend up the staff in range. I like to add that in addition we also develop how it "feels" to play the note. feeling and hearing the note(s) go hand in hand. In addition one should strive to hear the whole musical line in your hear as you play. This aural/mental image really controls how we sound. It tells ours body what we want to do. This is what is meant by "singing" through the horn.

When I first teach this concept to my students I tell them to take their best guess. That over time we become very accurate