Hearing weird vocalizations while playing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BitLion, Nov 20, 2013.

1. BitLion

BitLion New Friend

Nov 13, 2013
    San Diego
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain myself so that it'll be understandable but I'll try my best.

While playing some lip-slurs, I noticed, when I played a little quietly, that I had been making accidental noises in my vocal cords in my throat; deep humming noises, like "uh, uh, uh" every time I changed my note. I don't know how to fix it and it's been bugging me for a few weeks now.

Does anybody else have (or had) this problem? Is it a bad thing? Is my throat too constricted? If so is there any way to open up my airstream?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is not a problem, just relax. Tension can cause the grunt like noises.

Don't worry too much, just focus on relaxation and good tone. Anyone 2 feet away will not hear the noise.

Cheers

3. BitLion

BitLion New Friend

Nov 13, 2013
    San Diego
    Thanks.

I've read some similar posts and did some lip slurs (g on the staff - middle c - E - middle c - g) whilst relying much more on my airstream rather than my tongue position, and it seemed to make this problem a bit better, however I still do here it sometimes going down the partials.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I had a very good teacher back in the 80's - yes last century - and he grunted all the time when using a cup mute. It never affected his playing or his career. He was a successful Jazz trumpeter, and taught in the Education system as well. Sitting next to him I could just hear it. 3 feet away no one would know.

Focus on your sound, keep the airstream full - but mostly get the tension around the shoulders and neck to relax.

BTW some players make a lot of vocal noises on purpose for certain affects. :-)

5. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    I do this too, only sometimes. I consider it a symptom of too much internal resistance. Getting the neck, chest, and shoulders to relax seems to make it go away.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe you have a learned behavior, somewhat like a tic, when slurring. Try this. Take a spent toilet paper tube and put it in your mouth. Now breath in and out. Remember this feeling of openness. Now put the trumpet to your mouth and with that same visualization of openness, go though a slurring pattern. If you find it works well, take the next 5-10 minutes to practice slurring exercises. Repeat this same series of events starting with the toilet paper role every day for a week. I will bet you will re-learn to do slurs without reproducing that humming sound.

Don't give up, I think you're on a role.