Heart Health revisited

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dan O'Sullivan, Dec 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dan O'Sullivan

Dan O'Sullivan New Friend

Dec 11, 2014
    I know there have been threads on this subject before. I'm starting another one because the responses to the previous ones have ranged from skeptical (As in how do you know really? Or helpfully, maybe you're doing something wrong) to the snide (As in aw g'won you can die from a safe falling on your head). During the previous year or so I've noticed that the ordinary physical challenges of playing the trumpet have increased. This was particularly obvious holding a long note during rehearsal, or playing any note above the G sitting on top of the staff. Then it was the G, then the F, then the E. At home if I did the right thing and used a metronome, I'd be gassed after 8 bars. One of my bandmates brought me some remedial exercises and I was just starting them. That's when my knee surgeon sent me to a cardiologist for clearance for replacement surgery. That was July, and that clearance is nowhere in sight. Diagnosis -dilated cardiomyopathy compounded by premature ventricular contractions. Among the tests was a "Holter" monitor, where they attach electrodes to your chest and you wear a little box for 24 hours. That was twice. I did a half hour of trumpet for both of those, and both times the PVCs went off the graph. The second time I also tried a clarinet, and that seemed to be OK, no worse than light - very light - dumbbell exercise. So I'm looking for a piano teacher because if I will not let music drift out of my life. Again, I'm writing this because I feel previous writers weren't taken seriously. I don't know if I will, but I'm willing to take the risk if I can encourage one more player to see a doc if just when playing should be improving, it gets worse. Be well.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The guy to ask would be gmonady - our resident medical wise man.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Dan! As Barlimann2001 mentioned, we have some tame doctors on the forum. Hopefully one or more will chime in soon!

4. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey Dan,
    Welcome, Thanks for the thoughtful comments
    Sounds good to hear that you're gonna perservere!

5. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    That sucks, so sorry...How old are you? Cardiovascular ability may improve with walking. If you can start going for a slow run. 5 minutes a day would do just fine for the first couple of weeks.

If you can't run, walk and do some squats with no weights of course, but make sure you are using proper form as you may injure your knees!!!

You can also do some push ups as cardio.
    BUT CHECK FIRST WITH YOUR DOCTOR!!! ASK HIM IF YOUR HEART CAN TOLERATE THESE EXCERSICES!!!

Also you should check your eating habits. Are you eating clean? Smoking?

Excercise and eat clean, consume a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids(search the net to find out what are these) and quit smoking if you are smoking

PS: This should become a lifestyle, do not stop if you see results, keep at it, so you may blow your horn until 104 years old

Good luck man

6. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Also, please ask more than one doctors.

...And keep in mind that there is always a way. Your trumpet is telling you there is something wrong with your body and that you should do something about it.

Again if you are smoking, quitting is the first thing you should do. After that is eating clean. After that walking, after that slow jogging, after that regardless of age you can pretty much do anything.

Try hard and again good luck

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Dan.

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear about the challenges you are facing. I like the idea of playing piano. And I like your suggestion in your last sentence that we should consider seeing a physician, if we are having symptoms that don't appear to make sense.

I agree, that sometimes you get negative comments when a medical topic comes up. In part, I think this happens when people try to ask for or offer medical advice. This probably isn't the best place for that type of discussion. However, I think it's perfectly fine to talk about shared experiences regarding a medical issue. This is what Dan did in this thread, and I think it's a good thing to do.

Since the topic is cardiovascular health, I'll add my 2 cents. Playing the trumpet is similar to moderate physical activity (3-6 METs), and would be comparable to a brisk walk or bicycle ride. In addition, playing the trumpet is similar to moderate resistance weight training (10-20 pound free weights). Of course, YMMV, and these are just general guidelines. I've posted them in the past to give trumpet players a point of comparison when talking to their physicians about limitations on physical activities.

Mike

8. raif

raif New Friend

Feb 26, 2009
    This is information most people don't want to hear but some of you may find it beneficial. The first is a documentary everyone should watch called "Forks Over Knives." All of the streaming media (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) sources have it and you can also Google it to get it online. The second is a short article you should read at the following link: We Can End the Heart Disease Epidemic | NutritionFacts.org The third is a book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman called "Eat To Live." All of the authors of this information are totally credible doctors who have been involved in heart research, among other health issues, for many years. I do not want to preach or tell anyone how to live their lives, and I realize this crosses social and cultural boundaries, but you should at least make yourself aware of information that is freely available but often suppressed by the very powerful food industry. Good luck and remember that food is medicine.

9. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    So true, remember Dan O'Sullivan Omega 3 fatty acids are your friend :) :)

Try to change your life TODAY and never look but. You can certainly do it.

Keep us posted

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something to bear in mind, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Dan O'Sullivan may not be in any kind of place to exercise - 1.) he needs a knee replacement, 2.) he can't get the knee replacement because his heart won't allow him to be cleared for surgery.

There is only so far we can go to reverse issues with the ticker. He didn't really post much about his lifestyle prior to this. It could be that heart disease and arthritis run in his family, but if he's at a point where a knee replacement is an option, he's probably a bit older. Also, let's look at this:

dilated cardiomyopathy = enlarged heart with diseased heart muscle

This guy may not be able to get it fixed up with a little bit of fish oil and some exercise. In my quick google-fu, there are some types that are reversible, but I'm guessing that this is a persistent condition that has developed over years. (Often times a doc won't recommend a knee replacement until later in life due to the fact that knee replacements wear out over time.)

Dan, I wish you the best, and I hope that there are some things that can be done to improve your heart health. Take care! Oh, and welcome to the forum!