Heart surgery players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnflugelhorn, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Johnflugelhorn

Johnflugelhorn Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston MA
    Who has returned to trumpet playing since heart bypass surgery and how are you doing?
    I had triple artery heart bypass surgery in 2002 and I started to play trumpet overtime and still play now. Took awhile to get back in the game.:play:

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

You are now eligable for membership in our cardiac surgery club. It took me awhile too after my triple bypass. Recently I had a trans urethral resection of my prostate, requiring that I lay off of playing for a month, then, playing very softly for the next couple of weeks. My urologist is a former college french horn player and I took his advice about not doing anything that required abdominal tension. I am now in the rebuilding process and doing well.

Isn't getting old a delight?

OLDLOU>>

3. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Greetings, my brothers of the scalpel!

I didn't have a bypass, but last June I had an aortal valve replacement (bovine) and one coronary stent put in. I'm now playing as much as ever, just finished a 5-week run of "Les Miz," doing 7 shows a week plus a few odd gigs thrown in between. So far so good. I was lucky that they were able to do my operation through 2 of my upper ribs, without splitting the sternum. I still have a small space between the ribs that pumps in and out as I play, but it doesn't seem to be hampering my playing. I believe that my years as a wind player helped ease and shorten my down time post-op. I highly recommend deep-breathing exercises to anyone recovering from cardio-thoracic surgery.

Good luck and happy recovery to all,

Chas Reskin

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I had triple bypass following a heart attack four years ago which was followed by several sets of complications. Long story shortened, I was in hospital off and on for several months. I sounded so bad that I considered hanging it up. I remembered hearing Ghitalla say he used Stamp to come back after surgery so I gave it a shot. It worked well for me and I'm playing again up to par. Duets with a former student also got me over the initial part of the comeback.
    The biggest bummer is my vital capacity is down because of the procedure, aging, and allergy related asthma. I foind that I just have to play "smarter" paying more attention to breathing, posture, etc.
    Best wishes,
    Roy Griffin

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    God bless guys. Glad to hear you're all still playing after your struggles.

An older (mid 80's) gentleman I've known for about 20 years is dealing with some health issues. I had the pleasure of playing with him for about 10 years (and listening to stories about when he played gig's in the Catskills "back in the day") and even though he can no longer play gigs he recently told me that he still plays the horn sometimes late at night when his pain/medication keeps him up.

I really think that music is what keeps him going, so whenever I get a new Big Band or Jazz CD I make him a copy.

6. Gene

Gene New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Hello fellow members of the cracked chest club. I had a meer single bypass seven years ago. My trumpet comeback began about 3 years ago and all is going well. Picking up the horn again was one of the best things I ever did. I am convinced it has strengthend my lungs and improved overall circulation.