Heart valve follow-up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by siarr, Jun 18, 2008.

1. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Hi, everyone,

I'm happy to report that my aortic valve replacement surgery went very well, and I'm back home recovering. Thanks again for all of your good wishes, prayers, etc. They did find one blocked coronary artery, but they were able to insert a stent via angioplasty. The valve was replaced, fortunately, by means of "minimally invasive" surgery - they go in between 2 ribs instead of splitting you down the front like a bluefin tuna. It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow, and I'm feeling pretty good...walked over a mile yesterday and I've been doing soft chromatics and long tones for the past 3 days. I hope to be back in the saddle within a couple months; meanwhile, I'm working on getting my trumpet sonata ready for publication. I'll let you all know when it's coming out (don't worry, Robin - only one forum!) :^). I hope many of you went to ITG - I definitely want to make it next year.

Meanwhile, best and warmest wishes to everyone, and thanks again for your valued support and good energy!

Peace,

Chas
    Editions-BIM.com

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that the operation was successful. I couldn't imagine how scarey an experience that must have been! I hope you have a speedy recovery

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Chas,

Glad to hear all went and is well. Inch by inch. Don't do too much too soon.

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Great news!!!!! Thanks for letting us know.

Roy Griffin

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chas,
    what kind of valve oil did the doc perscribe?

All kidding aside, this is great news and for you certainly a new lease on life. With the additional oxygen getting into your blood, you will have more power than ever before!

6. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    LOL, Robin!

And cheers to Bloomin', Richard and Roy! Thanks for the kind words, all. I just did about 20 minutes on my BERP and C trumpet, easy stuff, but wasn't as lame as I had expected. I think I'll be ready for some July weddings! BTW, if anyone wants some specs on my new valve, it's an Edwards Pericardial Bovine Tissue Valve, Model 3000TFX, 23 mm. And no, it's not rotary, and no oiling necessary!

Thanks again, folks,
    best,
    Chas

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Glad to hear all went well.

We will take you up on meeting at the ITG in Pennsylvania next year!

Hey! Do you know a sax player called "Big Band Bob" down in Hollywood, FL?

His name is Bob Belanger.

-cw-

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey, did you say "Edwards?" Any conncetion to Getzen? And "Bovine?" Any connection to violists?

Am very, very glad things are going well for you!!!

9. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Hey, Chuck -

I live in Hollywood, but I don't know Bob Belanger - is he a pro? I know some great sax players who gig with me on some shows and pops concerts, but most of my stuff is opera, orchestral or other large venue gigs.

PS - thenks for the good wishes, hope to see you at ITG in '09!

Best,
    Chas

10. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    VB -

Thanks for the good wishes! Edwards - no relation; "bovine" - I sure hope there's no relation to violists, I'd hate to have to have this thing replaced again!!!

Best wishes,
    Chas