Heart valve follow-up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by siarr, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Glad to hear you're doing well! I had no idea they could do that without opening up the chest.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Good to hear you are recovering well - just on a positive note, my younger brother had the same operation a couple of years ago (as an emergency) and has returned to flying. His Airline Transport Pilot's Licence (ATPL) has been re-issued after medical review - the doctor told him that they now know more about his heart than they know of the rest of us - and so he is a much better risk as a pilot. You are however still in a much better position than he is - you can lead a trumpet section - all he can lead is his dog.

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Good to hear you are doing well!

4. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Thanks, Pedal C!

Yeah, it's pretty cool how they do it these days - they hook you up to the heart/lung machine through the femoral artery (at the groin), then go in between the 2nd and 3rd ribs to the right of the sternum to do the valve replacement. There's definitely post-op pain, but it's a lot less than with the more invasive method. The doc told me that within a decade or so they'll be probably doing all the open heart stuff through the artery! Pretty amazing.

Thanks again,
    Chas

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Thanks, mate!

Always great to hear from one of my friends down under! Glad to hear your brother is flying high...I'm looking forward to the day I can lead an all-dog trumpet section! Seriously, thanks for the encouragement and all best wishes to you.

Cheers,
    Chas

6. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Many thanks, MJ! I appreciate the good wishes!

Best,
    Chas

7. Doc Nelson

Doc Nelson Pianissimo User

May 7, 2008
    Portland, TX
    So I guess I don't need to hit my trumpet sites to figure out which one is the "heart" valve? :lol:

Congratulations on staying vertical.