heat, humidity and swollen chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GeorgeB, Aug 5, 2018.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Good news ( for me ).
    The lip balm is working. The sore has shrunk in size and the soreness pretty much gone. Still a small scab that I do not want to disturb. But yesterday afternoon I managed to play two easy tunes using next to zero pressure. And this morning I did ( almost ) a 20 minute routine I have been doing daily for the past 2 and a half years. The routine ends with 5 expanding scales. The first G on the staff to top space E, the second first space F to to line F, and the third goes from bottom line Eb to first space G above the staff. I was able to play those three with next to zero pressure, so that is where I stopped...for today, anyway.
    Even though my tone stinks, it is okay because right now I am only interested in working those face muscles around the lips.
    I feel good !

J. Jericho and ButchA like this.
  2. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Thank you for the advice, sir. I always clean my mouthpiece after every use. At first even using the pencil hurt, but as I said in post # 21, things are looking better as of today.

rowuk likes this.
  3. ButchA

ButchA Piano User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Glad that you are getting back into playing without any troubles! I do the same with lip slurs and try to go all the way to the high C above the staff. Then after that I keep it simple and do random exercises is 6/8 out of a practice book, starting on low B below the staff.

Regarding piano playing your left hand not working with your right, that is a very common problem, and I suffer from that too. I learned to make up my own melodies in my head using chord arpeggios with my right hand and than make up a bass line with my left hand on the root note. It helps a little bit, but isn't the same as reading piano scores out of a music book. I can play the famous "Prelude in C Major" by Bach, but it took me almost six months to learn it. I literally forced myself to learn it, measure by measure, very slowly, sight reading the music as I went along. Piano is among one of the most difficult instruments to master!

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    YANKEE SHOW OFF !!!!! :laughwave:

Yeah, along with those scales that go up to High C, I also do a set of lip slurs above the staff to C every day. But not today. I'm not going to take a chance on damaging the lip again.

ButchA likes this.
  5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    To tell you the truth, when I lived in Japan, in the summer you could look at the street lamp at the end of the street and, instead of seeing the light clearly, it was so humid that you only saw a diffused glow. I've already told of my Okinawa experience. Yet, in all of that, I was a professional trumpet player and never used any of these techniques. Overthinking?

6. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Probably not.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    As much as we're all the same, we're all different, too.

larry tscharner likes this.
  8. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Exactly, kehaulani.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I've had twenty years to acclimatise to year round heat and high humidity, and had more than my fair share of swollen lip blues. For me, the solution lay in learning to let air support do all the hard work, without mouthpiece pressure or facial tension other than firm corners.

It took a good while, and required me to set some rules about what I temporarily could or shouldn't play. But I've now been able to relax most of those restrictions and can play a couple of hours solid before needing a break.

If anything, I now get the reverse problem. Air-conditioning in the dry season can make my chops dry out over night until they feel like saddle leather. It forces me to dig out a couple of flute concerti to practise until a few pots of tea have coaxed back some flexibility and I can hit something below third space C.

GeorgeB likes this.
  10. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    My playing is improving daily. Scab long gone now and the lip feels good, but I am not going to push things. My practice time is cut in half for now. The good news is I got my High C back this morning.