Heavy bottom valve caps....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by EL_JMAN, Jan 5, 2011.

1. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    I've seen some trumpet players with them, and was wondering what are they for? Do the change the tone or sound of the trumpet? never tried them before....

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    They affect the way the trumpet plays.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --
    What Brek sez. Also it appears to effect slotting. Some say it makes slotting a little easier.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    While it is a personal preference to use or not to use the heavy bottom caps, I have them on both of my horns. I found that they do affect both the tone and slotting. At least for me, they do. I first recorded playing without the caps, then added one cap to the first valve, then recorded, then just the second valve, then recorded, then just the third valve, then recorded. I did this in variations of just the first and second, second and third, etc. until I realized that the horn sounded better with all three caps.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I tried the dime in the valve cap trick on my King 602, that horn is really light compared to my Olds Studio. I think it helps the projection and clarity in the lowest register. The Olds valve caps seem heavier as they are so I didn't try it on that horn.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Call me crazy, but I have a Harrelson trim kit on my Yamaha that is quite heavy, even though it is called a light kit. It looks real cool, and I like it for this alone. But tone difference? Not that my ears can detect.
    The stock Yamaha caps are super light.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I did the "dime" thing also -- on my King Silver Flair, but didn't notice much difference -- the Flair is quite heavy anyhow -- so who know's, and it slots pretty good for me with my setup --- so my BIAS may have predetermined what I thought a couple of dimes could do.