Heavy bracing on a trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ♠♥CORNET♣♦, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jojocat123

jojocat123 New Friend

You couldn't be bette right Rowuk....bullseye! If you are only a trumpet player that didn't ever touch to trumpet making, well so you're a fine analysist, so you have a very sensible intuition.

I made an experience with one of my old horns. I once planned to add a sheet brace to the bell bow and the tuning slide. So I first did the tuning slide. I'm not a trumpet maker, but I can do very clean solderings. So the thong was well done...took me a looooong time to fit the brace correctly to the slide.

I played the horn. 5-6 notes in med-low register. Hhmm, Tone looks to be a bit more centered, a bit better slotting. OK, let's try some upper notes , mid to high C. God.....what a disaster! The horn behaved exactly like you said: uneven tone, hard to keep in tune, hard tp play over the staff ( this horn is normally SO easy to play in high register ), and last but not least, sound just lost all its colors and harmonics.

Is it necessary to add I remover the thing immediately?

Adding a sheet bracing to a horn that wasn't designed t.o get some is a risky business. You cannot predict what will happen. OK braces make a horn looks cool. I was constantly looking for one before. Now I'm plenty happy with my good old looking trumpets!!

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Important point, flugelgirl. I frequently wonder if enough attention is paid to horn fit. Weight distribution and other physical characteristics play into this horn fit equation just as much as total weight IMHO.

I try to practice while standing up as much as possible; at my age choosing to be more active instead of more sedentary is increasingly important. I have found that one of my Bb's exacts a surprisingly heavier toll on my arms than the other two during long passages, yet the two heavier horns are nearly identical in overall weight.

Jim

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Having read all this, and owning a Harrelson Bravura now for 6 years I can say from my experience that Rowuk has absolutely nailed it, flugelgirl's assessment of the trumpets effect on the lower back is also very valid. I'm 5'10" weigh in at 15 stone 4lbs and am relatively fit for a 63 year old. Let me say, the trumpet with all it's heaviness is simply brilliant, but there are days when I simply reach into the case for my Getzen 900 Classic, because I know that I'm already too tired to play the Bravura for a full gig - and I resisit changing trumpets part way through a performance.

What's my bottom line - I wouldn't trust an "amateur" to best guess changes to an acceptable trumpet - Jason Harrelson has stopped modifying trumpets to his way of thinking and manufactures his exclusive design, and they work beautifully.