Heavy valve caps for flugel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ozboy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Just wondering if anyone has tried adding heavy valve caps to a Yamaha flugel. I have a 27 year old flugel that I am thinking of rebuilding. I was toying with the idea of adding heavier caps. Curry make a set. If you have tried adding them to a flugel, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Heavy caps on a flugel has the same effect as adding to a trumpet: a bit darker and more centered/compact sound. My Hub van Laar flugelhorns all had/have heavy caps.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    I'm not really sure why you'd want a darker sound than the Flugelhorn already offers up. I guess it's just personal preference though.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I just bought a new Adams flugel and it came with a single heavy bottom valve cap on the third valve. I guess it's an attempt to stabilize intonation, but I'm not really sure. I thought it was interesting though....

bigtiny

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I used the curry eavy caps on my Yamaha flugel for 15 years. I love the sound it gives me. I also use a Curry mega sleeve on my mpc.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A very good reason to add mass to a flugelhorn is to get the tone more centered. They are usually pretty "fuzzy". Go to a hardware store and get some suitable washers to put in the standard valve caps - just to try before you plunk down your hard earned cash.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    The existing valve cap has a raised area that the valve springs fit over to keep them in place. It doesn't leave a great deal of room for a washer but I will give it a go.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lead Tape Reel (1/2 inch)

Here is another alternative for additional mass..........

It will make a real "LEAD" instrument out of whatever that you have!