Heeeelp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harezichi, Dec 30, 2007.

1. harezichi

harezichi New Friend

Aug 7, 2007
    All I need in this world right now is THE BEST practice trumpet mute there is.

Every single day I am harassed just for playing trumpet by neighbors, family, everybody.... I bought the yamaha silent brass system but I found it very very stuffy with much resistance. I also found the whole wiring setup to be very clumsy.

I really know nothing about mutes or what the different shapes do so can somebody just point me in the direction of one amazing mute.

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Get the yamaha silent brass system. It costs about $100, but it's great. You hear u'r playing thru headphones, and other ppl hardly hear anything. You really hear how you sound, unlike most mutes which distort what you hear. I'm sure there are others out there, but, I really like it.

3. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    There is no resistance at all with the yamaha. I used it after about a 15 yr layoff of playing and I found no resistance. There is never gonna be a most amazing mute. That's the whole idea of mutes, to mute what ppl here. I don't understand how u found the yamaha unlikeable. Sure, there are wires, but it's necessary. Maybe you should tell the ppl like ur neighbors to shut up. As long as it's not after 10pm, they can't say anything.

4. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Your family is complaining?? Are you still in school?Maybe you can practice more at school if it's such a problem for your family. I would figure they would be supportive. Tell them, no great player ever got great from NOT practicing.

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    LEZWOYMN, He already said that he has the silent brass. Also, the whole idea behind mutes are NOT so hide the sound from people but to change the sound. The only mute out there that is meant to hide the sound are practice mutes. There are two that I have tried and really liked them. Both their names escape me. I'll try and find out and get back to you, harezichi

6. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    The Denis Wick Pratice mute should work well

7. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Excuse me eisprl, I saw that after I wrote it. You can't remove a post after you write it.

8. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    This guy wants a mute so his family and neighbors won't complain. That was his question. He said nothing about sound.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    while you are waiting to find a mute try playing into your coats hanging in the closet. this muffles the sound with no resistance. I also bought the silent mute and used it less than 1 hr., I don't care for all the back pressure - in fact I will trade it for a Reeves 42S or 41S trumpet mouthpiece. Dave

10. harezichi

harezichi New Friend

Aug 7, 2007
    well i mean, of course my family is supportive, but nobody wants to hear me repetitively play the star spanged banner or crazy by gnarles barkley.

The silent brass system is a good idea but i found id much rather just play with the mute in alone which eliminates the need to pay 100 bucks when there are others out there that can do the same.