Heeeelp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harezichi, Dec 30, 2007.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Best Brass gets my vote, hands down.
    -T

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Well, I'm glad your family is supportive. I'm sure others have suggested some other good mutes, but not all are that inexpensive. Good luck with your quest and I hope you can still practice. It'd be a shame to not be able to practice what you need and u'r performance will suffer. I was in band in grade/junior high myself. Can you see if it's possible to practice more after school, if your school has practice rooms that are sound proof? Good luck and don't stop practicing, you'll find a way.

3. Stan Harrison

Stan Harrison New Friend

Nov 17, 2007
    North Plainfield, N.J
    The peacemaker practice mute is good. Also Jo Ral has an aluminum cup mute with Felt inserts to deaden the sound. I used the Jo Ral a lot while living in an apartment

4. harezichi

harezichi New Friend

Aug 7, 2007
    I think im leaning towards either the best brass mute or the bremner shhhh mute... ive read great things about them.

As for practicing at school, it was only a month ago that I actually began playing the trumpet on a whim and my school doesn't allow students not in band to practice with the band. I bought my trumpet new for 300 bucks after going on a cruise and seeing how amazing the man in the show band could play. I ended up only attending the shows to sit by the band and watch how well they performed. After that I got a trumpet and I bought a self teaching book and one month later I can play some pretty decent songs.

my only flaw is i can only hit and hold notes from low G flat to high D.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My take is MUCH different than the above advice.

If we look at the reason that we even practice, it is to INCREASE or MAINTAIN specific skills including sound quality. When we stick a practice mute into the horn, the necessary feedback to get a quality sound is destroyed regardless of brand (or electronics).
    The realities of life show us that there are situations where we just have to make due and THAT is the reason to own and use a practice mute. Realizing this, I believe that we need a DIFFERENT routine when playing castrated and that is where Mr. Herbert Clarkes recommendation of playing softly comes into play. If you work out an extended routine that stresses soft and very in focus instead of trying to blow the mute apart, even the Silent Brass does its job. I have a practice mute routine when I am on the road and there are a lot of slurs, Clarke, Schlossberg and Arban - all played softly. The resistance can be your friend or enemy. Economical solutions seem to give better results!

Knowing what I know today, I would have not bought the SilentBrass electronics though. My electric bass playing son uses it and for that purpose it is INCREDIBLE!

MJ likes this.
  6. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Can you join the band at some point. If you're a true beginner, it is really best to have a teacher. If you were say, a comeback player, sure you could do it yourself. You really need lessons from a teacher if you're a beginner. Maybe your parents might pay, they just might figuring it'll get you out of the house. LOL. I wish you luck.

7. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Hey Lez, just invite this young man to dinner would you. Maybe you could let him try your silent brass. Does it even work in your pocket trumpet?[​IMG]

I have been using a Jo Ral practice mute and it's not too bad, but I try not to use it unless the babies are in bed.

8. harezichi

harezichi New Friend

Aug 7, 2007
    LOL ill pass on dinner thanks :)

no but really, my parents offered me lessons and I kindly declined. A teacher could only teach my how to read music which I already knew how to do ( i play alto sax) and how to get the lips right. With the book ive been able to teach myself in a very short amount of time how to play all the notes and now i only need to work on my speed. Id say the star spangled banner is a decent piece to be able to play only after 2 months of practice.

9. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Well, I wouldn't invite a stranger to my house. And yes, the silent brass system works in the pocket trumpet. I don't think my significant other would appreciate me taking in strangers LOL>

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Great point, but what about simple 'face time?' Not concentrating on sound but fingerings, patterns, Clarke or jazz- whatever.
    I don't use it alot because I'm in school most of the time, but at home I do because even when I try to play soft I get yelled at for playing too loud! (Can't interrupt Mom's shows...)
    I know it's quite different from "real" playing, but it's better than not playing at all right?
    thanks,
    -Andrew