Hello all

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Musician4077, May 23, 2005.

1. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Hey all,

let me introduce myself. I'm a high school sophomore (soon to be a junior!) and have been playing the trumpet for five years now. At my school, I'm lead trumpet in everything, and I've made a little reputation for myself. I'm also in all advanced courses. Now, I know it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, pardon the pun, but it all leads up to my reason to post. I am planning on pursuing music for a career, and, like all other aspiring musicians, hope to attend Juilliard and land Principal chair in a big-ticket ensemble. In this world, however, I also know that while I'm top notch here at home, once I get out of my little bubble of a town, it's a big scary world out there. Does anyone have any advice for a hopeful orchestral trumpeter? I would appreciate anything you have to tell me. Thanks!

Jeff

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Jeff,

All I can say is stick to your dream! Work as hard as you can, and learn as much as you can!
    Welcome, by the way!

As a mediocre soon-to-be senior (HS), that's all the advice I can offer!

Oh yeah, rest often. Don't kill your chops!

Lara

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    First off, I want to congratulate you for having the knowledge that you do, most folks in your position will have a really cocky attitude even after leaving their "little bubble town." The only advice I can give you is to listen to what you want to sound like, you'll never land that orchestra gig if you don't have drilled into your head what an orchestral trumpet player sounds like, and talk to as many pros as you can, this site is a great way to start, but if you live in an area that has major performing ensembles, don't be afraid to confront some people after concerts and ask for lessons (for a proper fine of course). Best of luck to you and best wishes!!

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

So who, or what, inspired you?

5. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    learn a bit regarding several types of music.
    you're in michigan, why not try for interlochen??

dj

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

Practice..................................alot !

:bleah:

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  8. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I'd say that you've already realised the most important thing - No matter how good you are, there is nearly always someone who can do it better! Keep practising, keep playing, keep aiming high without leaving your head in the clouds. Good luck with it all.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    See if you can get lessons with local orchestra members.

Van

10. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    First, let me just say thanks for all your help and support so far. I really appreciate it.

I'm pretty self inspired but I do have some musical people who are close to me. All my siblings played instruments, and my sister and her husband are both band directors. Becoming a professional musician, however, is my dream, and I've been inspired by such pros as Wynton Marsalis and Maurice Andre. Closer to home, my biggest inspirations are my teachers. I take lessons from a local professor at Central Michigan University, Dr. Dennis Horton (anyone hear of him?)

As for Interlochen, I've considered going, but the $5,000 fee is a little rough. This summer I'm going to Northwestern University's National High School Music Institute in Evanston, IL.