Hello all

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Musician4077, May 23, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Great advice!!! I was a fine high school player who made all the honor bands, all-state and so on, but once I got into a camp where some of the finest players from though out the country were attending, as well as some college age players, I soon realized that players like me were a dime a dozen.

I had the finest training, went to a fantastic high school in Fairfax, Virginia (a great music county) and studied privately with Sanchez of the National Symphony and John Wright of the USMC President's Own. I had the desire, and the will to practice, but in the end I just didn't have what it takes to be in that top 10 percent of the top one percent.

I wish you luck in seeing your dream through to the highest levels. Remember that you can be a great player and end up working in music, but just not in one of the top houses in the world. There is no shame in playing as a recording musician for a movie studio, or playing in a full time Disney Orchestra. As for me, I taught while trying to see my dream come true and fell in love with the students I taught. I have had a couple make it pretty big, but my experience of letting them know what it takes to PLAY FOR A LIVING helped them.

Remember to dream big, but never let your head get so big that you can't get through the door to the room where you want to work. Oh how I dream what if I was just 1% better than I was?

Good luck! I hope you make that top 10% of the top 1%. It's a great place for those who make it!

2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Musician 4077, hmm, let's see..... MASH 4077?

There is a reason why whales do not live in farm ponds you know. Practice every day. Study. Finish College with a Masters Degree. Listen to as many artist that you can find recordings for. Learn many styles of music. To swim with the whales when you are still a tadpole takes courage, will power, stamina and knowing when to seek help. Don't let anyone destroy your dreams. Dreams are what futures are made of.

If you can't think of anything else but you and your horn on stage with people clapping and cheering for your performance AND if you would rather have the stage and all that it implies than a new car, a fancy house, a lovely spouse and a fat bank account all before you're thirty-five, then you may have what it takes to make it in the music business.

Only a lucky few can acheive their dreams without paying their dues to the whale. If you are not willing to pay your dues, then my young friend, the whale will eat you, but let's not think of that.

Good luck my young friend. I hope to read about your acheivements some day.

3. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Hey Bourbon City, you're the first to make sense of the numbers in my name! Yes, I love MASH, even though it went off the air long before I was born.

My ultimate goal is to get a doctorate in trumpet performance, with maybe an artist diploma or something else too. I'm also going to double major in conducting. Being on the podium is my second passion, next to the trumpet of course! :D

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for schools? I know Juilliard, Curtis Institute, New England, Eastman, etc., but all I know about them comes from the information packets I get from them (and they don't tell about anything that could possible adversely affect them).

4. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You are very welcome, my young friend.

Good luck to you and may God speed you along your way.

Eastman is it for what you want to do.