Hello fellow horn players

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by guywin, Jul 16, 2017.

1. guywin

guywin New Friend

Jul 14, 2017
    UK, London ish
    Hi all,
    Returning player here, and very glad to have come across this friendly and useful forum!
    I played trumpet regularly (baroque mostly) from a young age but stopped when I went to university. I reached grade 5/6, though this wasn't the main focus. I also played some orchestra and church stuff. I'm now 30ish so for about 15 years I've done little more than pick up my old horn for family Christmas carols.

I'm not really sure where to start. I never played jazz when i was younger, but that's what i'm into now. I got hold of "the Definitive Jazz Collection" so thought it might be a good idea to learn some simple jazz tunes, alongside revisiting the stuff I used to play. Does this seem like a logical approach? Two friends are very good jazz guitar players and gig a lot. They will be delighted to jam, but I'm a long way off being able to do this and it's not something I ever did before. I can't even imagine when I would feel ready to do this!

Any tips/pointers? My theory is pretty rusty but I'm not finding it that hard to play some familiar baroque tunes (probably because I played them so much when I was younger). Unfortunately I can't afford any lessons, but motivation is high. Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to discussing all things jazz and horn on the forum :)

Vivek Patel and MJ like this.
  2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I would invest in some private trumpet lessons to get the ball rolling and then buy a Jamey Abersold record or two and play aling with it to get your jazz chops going. Welcome to TM!

guywin likes this.
  3. guywin

guywin New Friend

Jul 14, 2017
    UK, London ish
    Cheers for advise MJ! Funding a few lessons will be tricky, but perhaps worth it for this early return stage.

4. OldKing

OldKing Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    Welcome. You're still a youngster and have plenty of time to regain whatever little bit you lost. With motivation, as you stated, you're gonna be fine.
    You'll learn to swing, I mean...as much as a Brit is capable of. :D

Brassman64, Dennis78 and guywin like this.
  5. guywin

guywin New Friend

Jul 14, 2017
    UK, London ish
    ROFL Cheers!

6. gwood66

gwood66 Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    tobylou8, J. Jericho and guywin like this.
  7. guywin

guywin New Friend

Jul 14, 2017
    UK, London ish
    MJ likes this.
  8. Vivek Patel

Vivek Patel Pianissimo User

Jul 8, 2017
    Porterville, CA
    Hello Guywin, if you're looking to improve your jazz playing, it's good to learn how to voice chords on the piano. Learn all of the typical two-hand chord voicings at the very least. There are a lot of them: Basie style block chords, Wynton Kelly drop 2 + 4, Herbie's Augmented/Diminished subs, McCoy Tyner fourths, Keith Jarrett style chorale voicings, etc...It takes some time to get this together, but when and if you do, it will really open up your improvising. Hope that helps.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave:

guywin likes this.
  10. guywin

guywin New Friend

Jul 14, 2017
    UK, London ish
    Thanks Vivek, great advice. I know a piano player or two so should be able to get some help down the road. Cheers!

Vivek Patel likes this.