Hello from another returning player

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by olsonadr, Jan 2, 2008.

1. olsonadr

olsonadr New Friend

Jan 2, 2008
    Hey All. Just starting to get interested in playing again after a 15 plus hiatus.

I picked up the trumpet in 6th grade and played through highschool. I played in Fall/Spring Marching Bands, Orchestra, Jazz Band.

I am looking for a cheap used trumpet to get started on again. My old trumpet was a King Tempo 600. So as you can see I have always played on a student model trumpet. Right now I am seeking a decent used student model because for one I sound terrible right now and I really don't know how much time and effort I am going to put back into playing. I hope to play steadily and get my old skills back and would rather do my skill building on an old used basic model before ever spending 1,000 plus for used/new pro trumpets.

Any one else in a similar situation and what do you play?

2. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi.
    Welcome to TM, I'm fairly new here as well,
    you'll find lots of fantastic information here from many experienced players
    and there are several comeback players such as yourself.
    In terms of horns, I would suggest your best option would be a student model yamaha (you could pick one up for about $500 and they're good horns as far as student models go.) and they're always in demand for when you might want to sell it later on.

Good luck and enjoy!

Matt.

administrator likes this.
  3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Hi :-)

4. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Welcome! As far as horns, you can find some great deals on used horns. I got a King Cleveland for under $200.00

5. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    There are many players in a similar situation here. Welcome to the site. Great to have you!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome olsonadr! I saved a ton of money buying my horns 20 years ago. You might want to try the same thing. :cool:

7. Jumpinj

Jumpinj New Friend

Dec 6, 2007
    Iowa
    Welcome back! I also returned after a long break but still had my trumpets. From what I have found on the site, a vintage olds ambassador seems to be the cheap and great sounding way to go. Plus it seems you will never loose out on the money you invested in it.