Hello

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gid120, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gid120

gid120 New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Hello all I am new to this forum as to trumpet playing in general. I am still a beginner and learning the basics of trumpet playing, mainly buzzing and lip embouchure. However I am having difficulty in hitting the high register notes. AS I said I am still at a very early stage and still on the basic scale from the low C to the upper C. However I never seem to hit the upper A, B and C. I use a Bach 3C mouthpiece but was wondering whether there are other mouthpieces to aid higher notes. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As a beginner your high notes are well out of reach until you pay your dues in the practice room, developed your breathing technique, and established concrete basics within the stave. The mouthpiece you already have is almost perfect (some will say) for your purpose. Hard work is in your future - THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS. Have fun but build from sound foundations (no pun intended).

3. gid120

gid120 New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks peter for your input. I agree about hard work and try to practice as much as I can. I started learning as an adult and with two small kids at home time is at a premium. However what concerns me is that these are not exuberantly high notes, just the last three in a normal trumpet range. I also happen to have the unfortunate issue that I only produce buzzing from the side of the lips rather than the centre. According to a friend of mine who happens to be a professional player, this should not be an issue since he also plays on the side of his lips. however it gets frustrating when warming up not hitting these notes. I'll persevere and see how it goes.

Thanks again

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome first of all. Second of all, Ted knows what he is talking about and I agree completely. The worst thing you could do is change mouthpieces. As long as you can get a decent tone in the range you own, keep the mouthpiece as you do not want to add additional variables to the process of developing your embouchure. Do this and practice as Ted notes, and you will reach your goal... in time.

5. gid120

gid120 New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Many thanks for your encouragement.it certainly helps a lot especially in frustrating moments.

Much appreciated.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    You seem to question the mpc your using. Have you tried different mouthpieces ? Your current piece may not be the one for you, there are many, many different sizes of mouthpieces out there because we all have different sized mouths, (put simply). You may find a piece that feels better than others or the current one your using. You may also find that the current mouthpiece feels the best, but you won’t know until you sample what’s available. Have your pro friend help you with this. Also being in the beginning stages of playing, what everyone is telling you is correct, you will need to maximize your time when your on your horn due to your other responsibilities. We all have to do this also, so your in the same boat as us, and welcome to the site !!!

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Welcome to TM. There is nothing wrong with your progress so far. Be patient and practice. One of my professors taught me that when I master the lower octaves that the higher octaves will be easier to master. Keep doing what your good at. Practice scales. In early practice sessions I rarely go for higher registry until my horn is warmed up good and my lips are better prepared.

8. JAGMAN

JAGMAN New Friend

Jan 18, 2012
    I'm sort of in your same boat, but I'm a comebacker after taking a 20 years break (played sax for that time). I will say, coming back to the trumpet is definitely more of a challenge than the sax. I can put a sax down for two months, pick it up and get over two octaves (maybe not totally in tune, but playable). The trumpet is a whole different beast that requires constant attention, practice, and focus. Your lips are your reed (to use a woodwind analogy). At this point, you will only get so much out of them before they tire. You will need to put the time in the practice room and practice smartly since you have limited time between your family committment (I have two young ones too), and the limited time on your lips. So, use it wisely and DON'T FORGET: REST IS PART OF YOUR PRACTICE AND JUST AS IMPORTANT! Don't blow yourself out. It's a slow process, but done correctly, will reap great dividends...When I stopped playing 20 years ago, I had the full range to above high C. Now, I've been back for only 3 weeks and just able to play the high A above the staff...I can "hit" the higher notes, but they're not playable yet...keep at it!

9. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    As others have mentioned, it just takes time.........and practice.
    You have not mentioned (unless I missed it) whether you are taking private lessons. If not, a qualified teacher can make an enormous difference in your rate of progress. If at all possible, take private lessons!
    Best of luck!

Brad361

10. gid120

gid120 New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks to all of you. Yes I am taking private lessons and it definitely helps. The disadvantage of practicing on a trumpet is that it's loud. I have to travel on a regular basis due to my work and although I do take the trumpet with me, I am very limited to practicing in a hotel room. Not everyone appreciates the sound of a trumpet. Anyways, thanks again. I hope I am here again soon telling you that I'm hitting those notes.

tc all