Helmke trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SkaTrumpet, Jul 10, 2004.

1. SkaTrumpet

SkaTrumpet New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    hey, i'm in a ska band and i'm looking for a new trumpet. I've been looking on eBay to try and get the cheapest prices, and i've found a trumpet i'm interested in, but i can't test it out. So i was just wondering if a Model 765 Helmke is a decent trumpet... i'm not looking for anything outstanding, just good valves and a decent sound.. plus this one's black, so it's already freakin awesome.. but yeah.. if anyone has any input, that'd be awesome... here's the trumpet.. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3735626999&rd=1

rock rock on

2. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Do you want a horn that plays? Be careful on ebay, there is alot of trash. I can't suggest any particular horn for you, but you should definatly play before you buy. Or else, you are at risk of getting screwed. Check out Tulsa Band-www.tulsaband.com. They have a great selection.

3. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Graham,

I can't say it enough, stay away from this garbage! This "German Engineering" horn is made by the same crap-producers as Laval, Monique, etc. etc. I've also seen "French Engineering" and "Italian Engineering." If you want a good horn for a low price, look for an Olds Ambassadon on eBay. You can even take off the laquer to make it look "cool." Hope this helps.

I see this is your fist post. Welcome aboard. There's tons of information here for you to enjoy.

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I'd go for a cheap Yamaha or something (that's just one brand to look at, there are many many other good makers) - it might cost a bit more, but it'll be a far better instrument and will probably save you some money long-term. Always try before you buy.

Welcome aboard!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'll echo what trptguy had to say. I once emailed those people to ask what they meant by "German Engineered". Their response was that they were sellinga horn that was "modelled on a high quality German trumpet". Now, as close as I can reckon, B & S makes probably the most commonly known piston trumpet... and it is modelled on a Bach Strad.... which is modelled on a French Besson!

So what are these guys selling on Ebay? Cheap, Asian JUNK that bears no more than a token resemblance to a real "trumpet".

Stay away... stay very far away.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Five Iron Frenzy -- and you play in a Ska band. Now who would have guessed :D

The good people on this board are correct. Stay away from the junk. If you don't know what is junk and what isn't, take a look at:

http://www.ibowtie.com/buyinghints.html

I pretty much list them out.

Jim